Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches >

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches

Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches

Old 04-04-2023, 08:31 AM

Default Trying to Identify a Machine

I'm hoping this is still active! My niece found a cabinet vintage sewing machine on the street and took it home. Now we're trying to identify it so we can try to find a manual. Any idea on this? It's Sanshin produced and is labeled as Namm Loeser - probably it was used in the department store. External motor and knee lever for pedal. Any direction would be appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails img_2876.jpg   img_20230404_091506.jpg   20230404_074001.jpg   img_20230404_122628.jpg  
Old 04-04-2023, 08:58 AM

Welcome to Quilting Board. It looks like fairly straight forward threading for those of us familiar with vintage machines. I don't know, but perhaps one of these threading diagrams may be helpful. https://web.archive.org/web/20160404...ng_diagram.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20160403...ng_Diagram.htm

Oh, you probably know that it would have been made prior to 1957, since that is when the department store closed. I would think that probably even earlier since it is straight and zigzag only machines. Neat that you have a needle position lever (LMR) I can't tell for sure, but it probably takes high shank presser feet.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-04-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:17 AM

Thank you for that! That's great information. We're trying to figure out what would be the make/model number to locate the full manual. Namm Loeser has nothing out there on sewing machines. Any idea on that? If we need to replace the needle and belt - would those still be standard? Thank you again!
Old 04-04-2023, 10:53 AM

Namm Loeser, the department store, would have sold these machines in its store. It would have contracted with a manufacturer to produce the machines it wanted to sell and put its name on those machines; other stores or companies could have had their names on the same machine.

There appears to be an almost infinite variety of machines manufactured in Japan with various names, or "badges", on them, so finding a manual specific to this machine may be very difficult. Fortunately it does not appear to be a very complicated machine. The needle is likely a 15x1, which is pretty much standard now for domestic machines, and I agree with Janey, it looks to be a high shank machine. If there's a belt on it, you can measure its overall length and shop for a new one that way, or search this board (or the internet) for how to measure a sewing machine belt length.

If you need help with the controls, please post questions, and welcome to the QuiltingBoard.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Namm Loeser, the department store, would have sold these machines in its store. It would have contracted with a manufacturer to produce the machines it wanted to sell and put its name on those machines; other stores or companies could have had their names on the same machine.

There appears to be an almost infinite variety of machines manufactured in Japan with various names, or "badges", on them, so finding a manual specific to this machine may be very difficult. Fortunately it does not appear to be a very complicated machine. The needle is likely a 15x1, which is pretty much standard now for domestic machines, and I agree with Janey, it looks to be a high shank machine. If there's a belt on it, you can measure its overall length and shop for a new one that way, or search this board (or the internet) for how to measure a sewing machine belt length.

If you need help with the controls, please post questions, and welcome to the QuiltingBoard.
Thank you so much for that!! I really appreciate the help we're getting here. I will make sure we both reach out with any questions!
Old 06-09-2023, 09:02 AM

Default Coronado by Brother

How can I find more information on this Coronado? By brother jc1
looking for a manual it is a fancy stitch and free arm zigzag machine.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:16 AM

Welcome, Connie. Most of the Japanese machines that I have seen are not free arms. Perhaps a picture will help.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button. As shown at Standard Sewing Machine Co. Paragon

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
And how to use an ipad to post pictures can be found at Uploading photos

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Some additional notes -
The photos generally need to be reduced to less than 2MB in size. I have heard of people sending an email to themselves as it will ask if you want to reduce the size. I have an android phone and when I tried to reply on Quilting Board while in mobile view None of the options for adding pictures was available. However, there is an option down at the bottom left of the page that is for "Full Site" when I tapped on "Full Site" It then looked like the way it looks on my lap top. So it would have the Red Reply and the Go Advanced options.

Do Not Preview post.

Old 06-09-2023, 09:44 AM

Default Coronado

Looking for a manual for this machine hopefully the picture loaded
Attached Thumbnails 1167528e-fe2b-461b-a896-9d067ec8b236.jpeg  
Old 06-09-2023, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by conniebeaudry View Post
Looking for a manual for this machine hopefully the picture loaded
Thank you for the picture. Many of the Japanese manuals don't have any name on them, as there were badged by many different names. I haven't seen many vintage Japanese free arms, but then I remembered that Brother did make an earlier free arm and I'm sure there are others. Are there any other numbers on your machine? I have a machine that has a number on the inside of the pillar.

I remember seeing the stitch length like yours on other machines. I found this picture of one - https://my.modafabrics.com/wp-conten...ng-Machine.jpg As it turns out, it looks much like a flat bed of your machine. I found that there is a manual for a very similar machine at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19...81.html#manual

I do not do facebook, which is where several of the Yahoo sewing machine groups went to. Perhaps one would be helpful for your machine such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/821555271188096/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/659877447448317/