Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I hate to break this to you Bellaboo, but you never had a Longarm quilter in this person. What you had was a computer operator. IMHO that is the problem with people who go out and invest in a computer operated longarm setup, they never really learn how to LA quilt. They learn how to load a quilt, Input the proper data into the program the computer operates on and let her rip. If faced with just one teeny tiny obstacle that isn't normal for their computer run setup they don't have the foggiest idea how to proceed. It is obvious from her responses to you about using only one kind of batting and stating the classes told her to change what the customer wants to what is best for her CG setup, same with the thread.
Wow I think this is completely on the mark! I would be curious to know if this LAer ever made a single quilt before she purchased her machine!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Just one of many, many reasons I quilt my own quilts. I am always happy with how I do it. If I had to send my quilts out to be quilted, I would stop making quilts.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

For me it would have been once! I figure each quilt top I make cost me between 120 to 150 dollars, $30.00 (at least) for backing, and then the batting, not counting my time. To me there is no excuse for not doing what the customer asks for.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM

That's what I think too. If she can't do what you asked she should have let you know in advance, especially after you sent batting and thread. There must be a better way.
Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
She should have told you up front that she wouldn't use cotton batting or change thread colors. You are a paying customer. It would be different if she's doing it for free for you as a friend.

But sometimes close enough is better then doing it yourself.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Well I'm of the saying screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. A LAer does what you ask or tells you up front why they can't or why it won't work. I know because I am a LAer......... I had a few mess up my quilts, so I became one to do my quilts and now do them for other people.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM

If I had that experience with a LA'r I would not pay her the full amount that she asked for. You are not getting what you asked for and neither should she!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 PM

I think you said she told you she was the one who knew LAQ, not you.

I think there is enough said here to give her a wake up call. Either straighten up or ship out. Show her these above comments.

As one person pointed out, from her experience she no longer has her's quilted by someone else. I'm trying to get started with LA for other people. I don't need irresponsible LA's ruining my reputation simply because I also do long arm.

Besides batting and thread, there is also design. Everyone has their own signature even when LA'ing. It may be necessary to find a versitle design person.

Last edited by petthefabric; 02-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM

FelineFanatic hit the nail right on the head.

You don't need to find a local LA ... you can always put your quilt in a box and send it off to a real professional.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

There are people who send their quilts half way around the world to get them quilted.

Any LAer should never choose their own materials for anyones quilt without asking them first if they can make the change. It is unaceptable. Period.

Look on line and find some other LAers. Study well their web page. Does it show their work in detail. Are prices clearley set and extras added into the price. If the page looks really professional send an e-mail and ask some ? see if you like the way they speak and answer ?s. Make a decision based on what you research. There are many great LAers out there to find.

Hope this works out for you.
peace

EDIT: If you decide to send your quilts through the mail, insure them both ways for what you think it is worth.

Last edited by ube quilting; 02-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM

I sent out the first 3 quilts I made and quickly decided no matter how bad I did I would have no one to blame but myself and bought a mid-arm for myself. I only do my own quilts but I get better with each one and have never made the mistakes others did on my quilts that I had to pay for. I probably piece a minimum of 20 quilts per year so in the long run I will have paid for my setup. I gave one LA'er 2 chances and the other one only one chance...you have more patience than me!