Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM

Theres plenty of LA'rs here on the board, I would suggest you try one of them. She should have notified you of any changes before making them, just my opinion. And I don't think she'll be in business long.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Does this LA Quilter not have any conscience? I am a LA Quilter for customers and I would never dream of using a different batting than what they request and I would never use a different color thread than what they want. I am so anal about making sure the customer gets what they want that even if they request a simple medium sized meander for the quilting, I even have paper and pen and draw out a simple meander in a couple different size samples so I can get an idea of what they have in mind when they say medium size meander. Their thought on medium size and my thought might be two completely different sizes. I can't believe that LA Quilter even has any clients. I would never go back a second time if someone quilted my quilt a different way than what I requested. (Why does she even ask her clients what they want when, obviously, she is just going to do it how she wants to).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 PM

sounds like a lot of LA quilters here. i have a question. can i butt in? is it possible to use a different color thread on the back, than what you used on the top? just wondering.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM

I cannot understand why you went back 3 times. I am not a LA'er and quilt myself with my home domestic machine, and enjoy this activity. I would like to one day get a LA and possibly set up a little business for myself. If I did not do as the customer requested, I would make it up to the client by a least a discount and if not a freebe. I am capable of making an error but when working on another's quilt I would think I would have to be responsible and meet their request. I don't think I would of went back the second time if she thought it was acceptable to do as she pleases with my quilt.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM

I TOTALLY AGREE! I had my longarm for 2 years before I added the computer. It is unbelievable how many people who can't even change a lightbulb think they can spend $20,000 to $30,000+ on a machine, thinking they just load and go. Absolutley NOT the way it goes. I also invested in myself by taking a private class in Minnesota with Karen McTavish, there is a local LA'er in my area who also gave me a class when I first got my machine. I do not take my craft lightly. Each quilt is a craft of love and care by the piecer and the LA'er. There are lots of us who put our heart into each project for our customers. And lots of us who have taken the time and made the investment in ourselves. Nobody is perfect, but you and your quilt deserve better!

Ok, off my soapbox now. LOL. I know I already responded once, but I agree with feline fanatic very strongly.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I hate to break this to you Bellaboo, but you never had a Longarm quilter in this person. What you had was a computer operator. IMHO that is the problem with people who go out and invest in a computer operated longarm setup, they never really learn how to LA quilt. They learn how to load a quilt, Input the proper data into the program the computer operates on and let her rip. If faced with just one teeny tiny obstacle that isn't normal for their computer run setup they don't have the foggiest idea how to proceed. It is obvious from her responses to you about using only one kind of batting and stating the classes told her to change what the customer wants to what is best for her CG setup, same with the thread. I am sure there are CG quilters out there who are sensitive to their client's needs. Rose Maynes on this board comes to mind. Quilted Dove may be another to consider. You want the perfection of CG quilting I think you need to find someone who learned howto LA quilt before they learned how to digitize a design into a computer. Makes all the difference in the world.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Gee, I am glad I quilt my own. I would not be happy to not get what I asked for and then paid for. Why go back for more?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Sound like her thinking needs to be reprocessed.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

check with Quilt shops for more names. they should know and have business cards too.
years ago i had someone do two quilts for me. she evidently didn't like her stitching about 1/3 of the way in, snipped all the threads but left them in. I had to spend an hour per quilt picking out all those clipped thread pieces. no idea why but that was the end.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM

I found a ldy to LA A quilt I made for my daughter that I needed in a hurry. She did a lovely job and in 2 days. She was leaving on a retreat, but had it ready for me. Would love to use her more. but money is a problem. I know her cards are in the fabric store, so I am sure other fabric stores have cards available. Since my quilts are fairly simple and old fashioned, I hand quilt or tie. So far no one has complained. :-)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM

I think I would go with.....three strikes your out! Just sayin.