Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilts without foundation piecing? >

String quilts without foundation piecing?

String quilts without foundation piecing?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 AM

Our group at the Senior Center made a string quilt without paper, interfacing or dryer sheets. We just sewed the strips together and then cut in triangles. It's a patriotic quilt that we made for our county fair; they give quilts to veterans every year. It turned out really sharp.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 AM

I love your string log cabin quilt, thank you for reminding us of the website... I had added it to my favorites a while back, but forget to visit it.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 AM

Location: I live in North Florida and was born and raised in South Florida

Hi,
I've just finished a string quilt and it is beautiful! I had bought some of the stablizer my local quilt shop sold and after feeling it and its texture (thin) I went to Home Depot and purchased "septic fabric". Its a thin substance they use in ditches and things like that! It was VERY cheap compaired to the quilt shops, I purchased like several feet of it (twenty if I remember correctly) for the cost of about $4.00 or less. I made my quilt and love it!!! However, I made the squares about 8 inches and would have liked making larger squares, you have to be careful it does not fold under you. It certainly made the piecing easy and much cheaper!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by toolazy View Post
My mom has made several string quilts with no foundation. And probably not much pressing either LOL . (She's not as lazy as I am but a big believer in fingers as irons.)
me too...no problem
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM

I know some folks whom use a square muslin as a base and you just sew on that. Easy enough and no ripping out. Hopefully you are using different size strips, it makes it much more interesting. Have fun.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM

I started out using a foundation but then I switch to making mine without a foundation and it works just fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

There is no rule that you have to use paper piecing for a string quilt. As long as it will lie flat after ironing, that's all that matters.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM

We just had a fun sewing day at our quilt guild making string quilts. We used telephone book pages cut 7 X 7 inches. Start with a 1 3/4 inch strip of black or white in the middle, then sew and flip any or all colors with a smaller stitch. The squaring up is very easy, because the paper is your cutting line. Remove the paper from each square after you square it up. Also ironing is important, or you might have a very wonky square! The paper comes off very easily, only a few seconds for each square. When you put 4 blocks together to make one bigger square the blacks or whites then form beautiful diamonds. google images of string quilts..there are so many beautiful ones!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 AM

I have used unscented used dryer sheets. They are not the least bit bulky and can remain in the quilt work.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:45 AM

One way I've thought about trying is to do it as a QAYG project adding each strip to the batting and batting as you go along. Seems like it should work.