Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your input >

Need your input

Need your input

Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Need your input

I made a Big Star block using the tutorial off of missouriquiltco.com. I took it with me to pick out fabric and get suggestion at one of our local quilt shop. The owner of the shop tells me that the method used on Missouri Quilt Co. is completely wrong and that I need to purchase the nifty HST ruler because I will have trouble with bias the way that was shown in the tutorial. I bought the ruler and tried cutting HST with it. I watch youtube how to do this but I am not pleased in how it works. On the Missouri Quilt site the instructor states to cut 10 inch block and 1/4 seam around block then cut diagonal to form 4 HST.Has anyone tried sewing around block then do a diagonal cut? Or why will this not work? Thank you for advice.

I thought my sample looked good and I am now confused how you would be able to make this quilt without having to work with the bias
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM

It works good in theory, but the diagonal cuts will be on the bias, so be sure to starch heavily or you will have issues with stretching.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Wish you had posted a picture. If you thought that your sample looked good then I bet it did. Maybe the owner of the shop likes a certain way of doing it & thinks that is the only way. I did see the tutorial for the 4 HST. I wasn't making anything that called for HST, but took some fabric from my stash & tried it. I thought it was a pretty neat way to do it, but I tried it out just that one time.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

If you starch the fabric heavily, then handle the cut pieces gently, the method she uses will work. I know several quilters who use this method exclusively and have no problems.
Personally, I have problems with this method, so I cut 2 squares an inch larger than the FINISHED size of the HST, put right sides together, draw a diagonal and sew 1/4" on each side of the line, then cut on the line. Press, then trim the resultant triangle to the correct size. Since you sew on the diagonal (bias) it is stablized and your HST edges are all on the straight of grain.

Everyone is different, there are lots of methods for creating a HST. Try them all, then pick the one that works best for you.

There are lots of nifty HST rulers out there! Don't know which one you got, so can't advise on its use.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM

I don't think you need a special ruler for HST. I haven't made them the way that is shown on MQS but if your sample worked for you and you were happy with it, I would return the ruler to LQS. Too many specialty rulers in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Because of the bias edge that will stretch, Starch your fabric twice, on the back before you sew the 1/4" seam and cut the diagonals.

Why twice? try it to find out!
peace
Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

Several people have posted pictures of their MSQC Big Star quilts and I am assuming they followed the tutorial. Maybe you can find their post and PM them? If you starch your fabric and handle the bias edges carefully you shouldn't have any trouble. Pin the bias edges well and don't stretch the blocks as you sew them together. Let the machine pull them through and if you have a walking foot, it might help too.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM

I use the same method as PaperPrincess. No special ruler, no scary diagonal edge.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Starch and careful handling will work just fine. I personally don't like that method because I don't like to handle my HSTs as gingerly. Jenny makes it look easy though, doesn't she?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Yes, she does make it look easy and I thought it was. I will starch twice once on back then front, sew. Here is a picture of the sample then a picture of the material I am using I will not be using any of the sample pattern ( it was just a practice piece) Thank you all I am just so happy to be able to get such great knowledge and willingness to help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409755[/ATTACH]
Fabric I am using
[ATTACH=CONFIG]409756[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc00256-1-.jpg   dsc00257.jpg