Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM

I am a SS too. couple of years ago saw a back pack made from them at the Paducah quilt show and thought that was crazy. well I am crazy now too... 4 of us went this year and we all made vests to wear it was so much fun. one friend has a tote bag. now I want to make a tote bag and a name tag holder. since seeing the chichen pincushions think I will make some of them to give to people that come to my retreats...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM

I love the stuff other people make with selvages not something I would make. I save my selvages until I finish a project in case i need more of the fabric. Although I use mostly batiks that dont have a selvage. I take my selvages to someone in my quilt guild. I am collecting for a postage stamp quilt so she gives me that in trade. She makes beautiful things from the selvages. She made a bag and a quilt.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 AM

Someone on this board or another of my online groups made a "Library - Bookcase" quilt using the selvages for the spines of the books. Really neat looking quilt.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM

I have been saving them for about two year. I keep about and inch of the fabric on the salvage. I had not plans for them but at my guild's last retreat one of the gals made place mats out of them and they were lovely, practical and would take a lot of use. So, place mates I will make. I have seen lots of nice suggestions on this thread to have fun it you wish. If your choose not to save then, don't let peer pressure push you into it. Be your own gal and enjoy your fabric.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
They make great plant ties and by the next year have disintegrated into the ground.
This is one of the purposes I use them for along with bundling whatever needs to be tie bundled. I have way too much fab to try use in this lifetime.... Not going to worry about selveges too! Jmho
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 AM

I save mine and also get them from guild sisters. I tie them together and then roll them like a yarn ball. When the mood hits me I crochet rag rugs!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 AM
mah

I have been saving selvages for quite awhile. I have made 2 of my friends tote bags, and pin cushions for some of my other quilting friends that have given me their selvages.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM

someone on this board posted a picture portrait that she did entirely of selvedges. it was really pretty but I can't remember the day or who it was
Old 04-28-2013, 09:49 AM

I think the things you all do with them are incredible, but like so many others, there are other things I want to make. I've thrown a few in a few crumb blocks, but since I know some of you really want them, I'll keep saving them and offering them up for giving away when I've got enough.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM

I've been saving mine for awhile. I gave away a grocery bag of them, and now I wish I hadn't. I have almost another bag full, but it'll still be a long time before I have enough to use. I'd like to make a cushion cover for my roll-around quilting stool. The dog chewed the plastic cover before I finally realized I have to make sure he can't reach the stool from inside his kennel.