Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:58 AM

Use them, that is what they are for. Make more later.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:03 AM

I would use them. I use mine and launder carefully.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Oh yes I use them! I saw my mother put special things in a cupboard and never use them, like her Russian tea set, well I have it now and you can bet I use it! I use my antique sun Purple glass wear too, every day, I do not save any thing for "special or guest" don't I deserve to use things as special as my guests?
I am a quilter and I want my home to reflect that, I have quilts on walls in every room and on all beds and quilt racks waiting for there turn. If I do not have room or any wall space left, then I gift them to friends I know will use them. Or to children in need.
Not using a quilt is like a homeless person carrying around a quilt in a bag and not using it when freezing cuz it is special. Dosen't make sense to me, JMHO
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM

After reading all the responses, I have to admit that the very first quilt that I did by myself last year in my very first quilt class, is laying across the back of the loveseat. No one uses it. I am too afraid that it will get dirty and won't hold up to washing. Ya'll have made me change my mind. I will start using it instead of saving it for special.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by amh View Post
I also write the following poem in the card of every baby quilt that I give away, just so mom and dad know that I want it used. To me there is no better feeling that a kid dragging that quilt around the yard, or wherever.
I love the poem and have saved it on my computer. I'm making a quilt right now for my #4 grandchild and will included it on the label. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM

Every quilt I make is made to be used. Even the gifted ones. There is nothing more comfortable to snuggle down under and if something gets spilled on it, it can be laundered. Just be careful and you won't fade them. Wonderful, wonderful quilts
Old 05-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I really make my quilts to be used, and the one I made my son at 12 was very well used - it went every where he went at home and when he left. I hope the quilts I have made for others, especially the family reunion quilts are used, but hopefully not abused, although one they leave my hands, they are no longer mine, so I shouldn't obsess about how they are used, even if their dog does lie on it (cringe). I think I would rather have my quilts used and not tucked away in a closet somewhere and possibly forgotten, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 AM

I've reached an age where I feel it's important to use everything. Why save things for something special? Special time is now. If I suddenly died, nobody else would feel they were special so USE everything you have.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

We use all ours to cover up with. Other than the wall hangings!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
huh??????????
I expect all my quilts to be used. Our grandchildren each have several quilts & they have been used as tents, jumped on & generally dragged around the house. If they wear out I will make them new ones. I love when I can see the quilts are well used.