Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight up vs. Sideways >

Straight up vs. Sideways

Straight up vs. Sideways

Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 PM

I have it both ways, you get more piled, but when you have to pull out a fabric from the middle, you get a mess, unless you take out the entire pile. I have long yardage (3 or more) on the cardboard holders from the quilt stores, I have 3 yards and less on plastic flats (sign board from lowe's, my dh cut them into the sizes I needed). I also have tubs filled with fabric.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM

I guess I am a bit slow, but I cannot figure out what you mean by using the ruler method. Can anyone help an old lady on how to do that?? Pictures if you can, I am a sight learner. LOL...

Originally Posted by leighway View Post
I folded my stash using the ruler method and have it all nicely put away in Ikea Cabinets...so nice. However, I've also seen where many people have used boards of some sort and wrapped the fabric in order to stand it on end like the bolts in the quilting store. Here's my question...does either method take the same amount of shelf space? It seems to me that piling vs standing on end would allow me to stash more fabric. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM

I have most of mine on boards and prefer that method best. I like it much better as I can see all the colors and patterns of the fabrics. I need to buy more boards or not buy fabric! I went through most all my stash and put all the coordinating fabrics together for a quilt and bundled the them and put them sideways on the shelves. I have realized I probably will never be able to make that many quilts in my life time. LOL! But am going to give it my best shot!!!