Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My lesson for today..... >

My lesson for today.....

My lesson for today.....

Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 AM

Maybe you can do what I did when I lost my husband. I went on ebay to see how much the radial arm saw should be sold for. Instead bought a book, instead: "Everything you need to know about your radial arm saw" - this was the best thing I ever did. I now have a woodshop with every kind of saw imagineable, a planer, several routers "everything." I have now learned woodworking and spend my time between quilts and wood!!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:48 AM

I look at it this way. I can use my walking foot and a 'wavy' stitch and produce some pretty nice looking results on my DSM. I am "getting there" with some half decent meandering on my DSM on kid-sized quilts. For those larger or special quilts, well, you can get a lot of professional quilting done for what it would cost for your own long arm setup.

Oh, and someone mentioned renting time on a machine. That is another option if you really yearn to DIY. And you can certainly rent a lot of time for what it would cost to buy your own.

Last edited by sparkys_mom; 08-23-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 AM

We gave up living in a stick-frame house to live in a 36' motorhome. It has been the best decision for us as we can travel all over the country, see new sights AND check out many quilt shops along the way ! I have a Viking Topaz machine and am very content to sit at my 24' x 30" dining room table and create. (I made my 1st king size quilt on it ) No way I'll ever have room for a long arm but I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY !
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM

Thank you for the modern-day parable. Definitely needed in our culture. Too much touted as "have to have". Found that is not so in many different things. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 AM

Your comments made me smile~ and made me thankful that I get to live in an age of technolgy that I can reach out to people all over the world and sip a cup of coffee and "chat" over life with ya'll.

How wonderful your comments are---I was inspired looking at the quilt in the link AFQSinc posted ( http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html). I'm going to take some classes to hone my skills and am excited about what I can do next :-) Have a fantastic weekend!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Which Innova did you buy?

I tried every single longarm machine at the Knoxville AQS show (two years in a row) and fell in love the Innova machines.

Some day. Some day ........

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I can totally relate to your analogy. Only I coveted the Innova on a rack. Well I saved and saved and prayed and I did get my Innova with my savings and some help from family. So dreams do come true!
Meanwhile, I love my Husqvarna 875Q. I've had two sewing machines: the first was a 1966 Elna Supermatic that I still have to sew "rough" stuff like fixing my DH's heavy-duty sailing gear.

Last edited by HouseDragon; 08-23-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM

No truer words were ever spoken, be content with what God has given us !
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM

very well said.... love the lesson and the thought...

being content with what I have....
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 AM

I am still sewing on my Singer floor display I bought in 1986, I can honestly say the only time it was in the shop was because I wasn't smart enough to realize my needle had a barb in it! I also have my mothers sewing machine and 3 other used machines I have bought as back ups. I know 1 works for sure as I took it in to have it looked over but haven't used it or another of the others yet. I love my little work horse. But I'm sure one day I'll use one of the others...someday.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 AM

Such a great reminder, mcook03! I often refuse to try more expensive options because I don't want to become discontent with the cheaper option.

However, I did break down and get a longarm almost 2 years ago. I hope to use it for additional income now and when I get ready to retire...which will be no time soon. Before that I learned on this board to turn my sewing machine a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to give me more room for my right hand and built a "table" to give me a smooth surface. Here is a link to my post 3 years ago: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...le-t52581.html. There are other ways to make the flat surface including using foam insulation board or plexiglass. Maybe this will help while you are waiting for "oneday".