Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:35 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

wow, this question is tougher to answer than I thought it would be! My daughters appreciate when they are given "handmade" things because they grew up seeing the time, money, work and thought that goes into handmade. A lot of crafting, whether it was sewing or woodworking was given, sold or traded around here. That being said; I am not sure if kids who have not been exposed to handmade appreciate it enough to warrant the effort. a gift from the registery might be good
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 AM

We had a young couple get married that I didn't know well, but was told that the young man was one of those people that love everything to match, so I did a Christmas theme quilt (they got married in October) and they loved it. (My husband had wanted me to make them the quilt.) That was 8 years ago and they tell me how it comes out the day after Halloween and is used throughout the holidays.

But for the most part I just usually give cash or a gift card if I know where they are registered. That way they can fill in what they do not receive, and I can spend more on the card since I am not having to ship anything or special wrapping.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Quilts are something very special and personal for wedding gifts I have gone to cash or a basket filled with things you need for starting up a new home ie extension cord, picture hangers, tape measure, self liners, you can go to the dollar store for a lot of these or your local hardware store.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 AM

When I read these "what shall I give a young couple" I always think of these 2 incidents. My great aunt, Mary, was telling me. Her grandson was married and a year later invited her and his mother, Betty, to come for dinner. When Betty picked up her mother she said, "Now mum, I don't want you to be upset. Your quilt is not on the bed". Mary had made a beautiful Ohio Star for the gift. Mary said to me, "Can you believe it. They had some ratty old green thing on the bed from KMart and the quilt was under the bed with guns wrapped in it."
My great grandma quilted all the time. I dearly loved her, saw her every day and the day she died, I was 12, I thought I couldn't go on. I got only one quilt she had made, white with pinks and pink flowered prints. Didn't use the quilt until I had a home of my own. Young and stupid I washed it and put bleach in the water. It came out a totally all white quilt! Not a trace of any print nor color in it. That was 40 years ago. If you are not close to the couples make a couple seasonal table runners and a gift card to Bath and Beyond. I see that registry chosen by many couples now so there must be something there that attracts the young.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 AM

I wouldn't go to the effort to make a quilt unless I was close to the couple. Get them a crockpot. LOL
Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

I usually have Christmas or some holiday table topper to give as new marrieds don't have that sort of thing and always seem happy for it. Plus they are easy to make and cute. Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

That's a gorgeous gift, Maggiemay! I especially love the little "vest" for the wine bottle!

Originally Posted by Maggiemay View Post
I recently made gifts for a wedding shower I went to & they were very well received. I made placemats, napkins, a bread basket liner (from a tut on this board- I've made many of these & everyone loves them) & a wine vest (a little vest that goes around a wine bottle). I got a nice basket for the bread basket liner. I, too was worried that they might think it was chincey or cheap but she really seemed to like them. I put a little note on the basket liner saying what it was and one on the wine vest too.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Most young couples desperately need money... just saying.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Well we hadn't been to a wedding for many years. Then one from our church popped up and I always like to do something unique...but for me it was special and tothem not so well. They sent oout their announcements that were love birds (black) sitting on a limb with light teal in the background...so off to World Market we went and saw there a nice picture of the very same thing but it also had Love printed on it, well we got that and then as it wasn't very much being on sale I wanted to add to it. So for the wrapping I found a really nice basket in which I placed the picture, then added some teal tissue paper and then we found these sprays of yellow flowers and some white ones also that we added to the whole package. It looked so very nice. The guests at the wedding thought it was one of the decorations of the wedding. Very Oriental looking piece. But we never received a thank you and once I slight asked how they liked the picture (to me it would look good in bath and it would be a reminder of their wedding theme) but nothing at all...so you have to be very careful aboout these things when you don't know the couple well.

If you are going to make something homemade why not one of the casserole holders? and Maybe some of the microwave bowls to o with it? These are very simple and would be used lots. As a young couple they probably would use the casserole takers many times and those microwave bowls are just the handiest things to have around. You can make them any size you want from a soup bowl to a large bowl.
Good luck!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Money is always a good choice! Or a gift card.