Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM

A quilt is no cheap gift. Total it up cost of fabric for top. Batting and backing, the cost of thread for quilting.and finally how long did it tame at minimum wage prices. I bet you get a surprise.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM

If you really don't know them or their tastes, I would find out if they have registered at some store. Purchase something on their list, you are safe as it is something they have picked out. If not registered, I would not spend time or money on any homemade items. So many of them now don't even sit down to a table and have a meal family style. Many don't even know what placemats or tablerunners are for or even how to decorate a home.....[maybe I'm just thinking of my sons ex.]

ps: Besides loving your avatar, I love your "name" SavedByGrace

Jennifer, Jn3:16

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
I'm not thinking about making an actual quilt.....I was thinking more along the lines of placemats, table runner, something like that.....something fairly simple and inexpensive. Just don't want to come across as cheap, but don't really want to give a cash gift either.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM

I would buy a couple towels and put their names on them. It's a nice gift.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Christmas napkins and place mats are always appreciated.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM

A gift you make would be from the HEART. Seasonal tablerunners might be nice.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
I'm not thinking about making an actual quilt.....I was thinking more along the lines of placemats, table runner, something like that.....something fairly simple and inexpensive. Just don't want to come across as cheap, but don't really want to give a cash gift either.
I have done table runners, sometimes Christmas ones that they will only use once a year. I did one and used black for the backing as they had white dishes so thought they could flip it over. I also had input from my daughter as to the type of Christmas fabric to use (no cutesy or country).
Old 10-01-2013, 03:36 PM

I would not make a home made wedding gift for people that I'm not close to. Too much time, money, energy for that. Just do gift card or something from their registry in MHO.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM

My oldest daughter remarried last year and I asked her if she wanted me to make her a quilt. Her answer was a polite no. I was surprised to say the least. All my kids have what I call the "minimalist" look which leans toward modern and sparse. That's ok.. it's quite nice. I wouldn't make quilts for a couple I hardly knew. If they were having babies, I would make a baby quilt. Check to see if they are registered and give them a gift card. Seems the way these days. My two cents..
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Having been to several weddings lately i would have to say ......save your efforts for yourself. Go with the gift registry, or gift card. Unless you know them your homemade gift may come off seeming cheap. Then your feelings will be hurt. My daughter in law received a quilt for a wedding gift and it didn't go with anything. She was putting a nice spin on it but the quilt was ugly. Anyway if I were in your shoes I wouldn't.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm guessing that you want to make a home made item? On youtube they have instructions for a "Ten Minute Table Runner" that really takes about 1/2 an hour but still really easy and fast. I would make a Christmas table runner so they can use it and you don't have to guess their color scheme!