Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your honest opinion >

Need your honest opinion

Need your honest opinion

Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Default Need your honest opinion

I don't know if I am the only one who does this or not, but if I go into a fabric department or store that has a great sale on, I buy things I don't even know if I can use or not.

About 6 months ago I went into a Wal Mart store. They had a cart up front that said $2 each. In the cart were packages of 6 coordinating fabrics that totalled 2 yards. I got a few of those and then they had packages of 24, 2 1/2" strips, WOF, that were some nice and some "far out". But, for only $2 each, how could I go wrong?

There was one that had navy, turquoise, lime green and burnt orange in far out designs. I finally decided to just sew them together and make a charity lap quilt. I went into my stash closet and found a piece of juvenile teddy bear fabric that had those exact same colors in it. I decided to cut it into strips and alternate the strips with the far out strips. I was able to make 3 baby quilt tops. They wouldn't have been what I would have set out to do but I would like your honest opinion. Would you go ahead and quilt these? Or, are they too weird?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]441128[/ATTACH]
This is one of the tops
The juvenile fabric was a yard and a half, 58" wide and I
ended up with 3 baby quilt tops $2 plus this fabric from my stash.

Let me know what you think. I can take it. Honest.
Attached Thumbnails img_0278.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

i would quilt them. what i've been into lately is appliqueing something on top to add extra interest.
i did one jelly roll in pinks and appliqued flowers on it, another in blues and greens and app. a dolphin on top. you could try that. quilt it, don't let it go to waste, came out nice
Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Hmm. It is a busy quilt, isn't it? Is the other side going to be a bit more mellow? If yes, then I say "Go ahead and quilt it." Maybe you can quilt phrases of encouragement into the quilt. I'm sure someone will love it. You've made it with love and warmth. Someone will know that and be kept warm by it.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:25 PM

By all means quilt them the kids will love them.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

The colors are great and it will make a happy baby quilt. The only problem I can see is that some of the teddy bears are headless... I think I would replace that strip. If you want to mix them up further you can cut the top vertically and flip every other piece over and sew back together... making sort of a postage stamp quilt. Either way you go, the colors make it a winner. Go ahead and quilt it!

I also like Lynnie's idea to applique something on top...
Old 10-13-2013, 01:31 PM

Absolutely quilt the tops. I get a lot of donated fabrics and have put some strange color combinations together to make Project Linus quilts. A favorite thank you note from a parent said they liked the fact the colors hid stains that didn't wash out. Once your tops are quilted, some lucky child will get to cuddle under it, spit up on it and drag it around.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM

I would definitely finish it. Everyone has different tastes. Those that I think turned out not quite to my taste others thing are beautiful. Good job.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM

Yes, quilt them! The kids will love the bright colors and combinations!!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 PM

My grand daughters designed themselves a quilt with my stash. Absolutely no design just pieces they liked sewn together. they are 10 and 13 and they loved them. Absolutely, finish them, someone will love them.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:20 PM

I would quilt it. If you don't like it then give to a charity. I'm sure whoever gets this quilt will love it.