Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Input on Long Arm Quilting machines >

Input on Long Arm Quilting machines

Input on Long Arm Quilting machines

Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Input on Long Arm Quilting machines

I am looking for some advise about Long Arm Quilting. I have tested the Tin Lizzie Ram. I was wondering if any of you have one and how do you like or dislike it and why. I have been on other groups and not many seem to have that machine. Doing your own quilts seems to be what everyone is doing, i have been sending mine out to be done.
This would be a big step for me to have my own and move forward in making and using up all the fabric that I have at this point. What are your thoughts please email me Thanks Jean
Old 10-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

if you have 'tested' the machine---how did YOU like it? before I purchased my long arm 10 years ago I visited every dealer I could find- test drove machines at shows, visited websites to see what all the company offered, what other customers were saying, what features were available on different machines. then I made my lists of pro's & con's, figured in costs, service, available tech support and chose the machine that was right for me at the time. even though now after 10 years I am considering going in a new direction with an upgrade I have been very happy with my choice- I spent months doing the research before the investment. if I had just gone by what someone else who had the machine said I never would have purchased my machine- because the people I knew with it hated theirs...but they never took the time to learn how to use it- and for some reason thought they could buy it, set it up, turn it on & suddenly quilt show worthy quilts...never considered there is a learning curve & you have to practice, practice, practice to reach that level.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:46 AM

Are you wanting one because everyone else seems to have one? Do you have the room to devote to a machine? I guess you do since you are wanting one. I don't have the room so it's not an option for me. I've read plenty of posts where the person has bought a long arm and was frustrated because of the learning curve. I'm satisfied to just send mine out or do it myself on my domestic machine. I know I wouldn't be as good as my long arm lady is, then I would have this big expensive machine sitting around!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:58 AM

Compare the price of a long arm to the cost of paying to have quilts done by someone else. If you can still rationalize the expense, and can afford it, then go for it.

I plan on getting a mid-arm (approx. 11" harp space) to put on my frame so I can quilt my quilts more easily than I now do with my domestic sewing machine (approx. 7" harp space). I know I'll never quilt enough quilts to justify the expense, but I really enjoy this part of the process. So if it works out that my future quilts - including the cost of all my equipment - average out to be $500 or more per quilt - at least I've enjoyed myself. And if I get good enough at it and end up doing a few "contract" quilts and make a little money, great!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I love my longarm. Test all the machines you can before you purchase so you will be happy with the machine and the frame is also very important.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Test, test, test, what one person likes may not matter at all to you. It is really important that you be comfortable with what ever you buy so that using it is a joy, not dread. I have an HQ16 and love it.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried a search on the board? (Search function is in upper righthand corner. Advanced search is especially helpful.) There have been threads about the Tin Lizzie and quite a few other longarms. I have seen quite a few negative threads about the Tin Lizzie, but I think these were about their older machines, not the one you are looking at. Here's one example of that kind of thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ems-t7784.html

There is no substitute for trying out machines yourself. I tried out a few at a state quilt guild show a few years ago; it really helps. The machine that stood out for me was the Innova. However, I knew I didn't want to spend that much money right now.

Because I had researched machines so thoroughly on the net, I knew that a used Voyager 17 with Hinterberg stretch frame would fit my budget. Although I had not tried one out, I had read many positive comments about it on the QB and on other quilting forums. So, when a used setup was advertised at our local quilt guild (the owner was upgrading), I bought it and have been very happy with it. I was saving up to buy the same setup from http://www.hinterberg.com but it was less expensive to purchase it locally when one came up for sale.

I still am not sure if I want to pay $20,000 for my "dream" longarm. Maybe some day. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with my much more modest investment. It is helping me complete lots of tops!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Have you tried a search on the board? (Search function is in upper righthand corner. Advanced search is especially helpful.) There have been threads about the Tin Lizzie and quite a few other longarms. I have seen quite a few negative threads about the Tin Lizzie, but I think these were about their older machines, not the one you are looking at. Here's one example of that kind of thread:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ems-t7784.html

There is no substitute for trying out machines yourself. I tried out a few at a state quilt guild show a few years ago; it really helps. The machine that stood out for me was the Innova. However, I knew I didn't want to spend that much money right now.

Because I had researched machines so thoroughly on the net, I knew that a used Voyager 17 with Hinterberg stretch frame would fit my budget. Although I had not tried one out, I had read many positive comments about it on the QB and on other quilting forums. So, when a used setup was advertised at our local quilt guild (the owner was upgrading), I bought it and have been very happy with it. I was saving up to buy the same setup from http://www.hinterberg.com but it was less expensive to purchase it locally when one came up for sale.

I still am not sure if I want to pay $20,000 for my "dream" longarm. Maybe some day. Meanwhile, I'm very happy with my much more modest investment. It is helping me complete lots of tops!

I have the voyager tooo.I do like it.. but I want to sale it and get a bigger machine.. I Have no idea what to sale it for??
Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 PM

You asked about a Tin Lizzie. That's what I have and I like it. I have the Ram. I didn't test drive all the models like I probably should have, but I've been happy. I have a few suggestions: (1) buy from a reputable dealer who is close enough to fix it if something goes wrong, and (2) learn the whole process. Just sewing on a longarm is fun. Loading it and doing everything else is a lot more work than I thought it would be. I don't regret getting it, but I'm sure glad I didn't get it for a business. Watch the whole process before you decide.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 AM

I have a 2009 Tin Lizzie LS and love it. I quilt as a business and for myself. I also have the Quilt Magician robotics, but I honestly do mostly freehand work. Always had great service from my dealer. I bought mine as a demo model and added the robotics a year later.

Now if money wasn't a problem, I'd have gotten an APQS Millennium on a 12 foot frame. But that's a dream.