Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with 1/4 inch seam. >

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:44 AM

As someone who first turned a sewing machine on less than 2 years ago. I can relate. I would go with the advice to find forgiving patterns (like D9P) and let her go. The joy of creating, out weighs the perfection required for experienced quilters quilts. Working on consistent seams whether 1/4" or 1/2" inch will come with time. As I learned doing "shared blocks" for my Bee. Not all 1/4" are the same and mine is a fat 1/4". I have to sew what I think is 1/8" to get the same size blocks as most of my friends.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 AM

I, too, have a problem with the seam tailing off the 1/4" seam at the end of each seam. I have really had to focus on watching the fabric and guiding it all the way through to the end of the seam. I never had this problem when I was sewing on a machine that was installed in a cabinet where the sewing surface was level. The way most machines sit up higher, with very little level surface encourages this tailing off feature.

I have learned, Slow down at the end and Watch, Watch, Watch until finished. Chain sewing has helped me. Having to stay focused on the next block being accurate, keeps me watching the first block going through the machine. I love sewing fast, but have found that this does cause the fabric to stretch when the feed dogs pull the fabric through and can produce a wavy seam line. To me, wavy is one or two threads too far or too close to the quarter seam. To compensate for this, I set my machine on a medium speed that I can't override with my "gas" pedal. That has been a big help.

Because I know I am not the most accurate sewer, I press every block very well and square up every single element in a block. It does get a bit frustrating when there are 12 or 16 HST's in a block, but at least I have a chance of making things fit together at the end. I do a lot of "scant" 1/4" seams to have the extra fabric to square up. Friends have recommended I try a 50 weight sewing thread that will take up less space in the seams. I'm going to Houston to the IQF and will be looking for the 50 weight cotton thread. I already know where the Superior thread booth is.

Big Block patterns have a lot of room for error. Keep this new sewer happy & she will make quilts she will enjoy, whether they are perfect or not. My grandbabies don't care. They just love them.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-27-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

To keep from veering off the seam at the end place your left hand index finger against the outside left edge of the foot when coming to the end. The fabric will not veer. It's second nature for me to do this after I learned it from a very expensive precision quilting workshop. I think once the student realizes her blocks won't match up because of the seams not being accurate she will know then how important it is. It's up to her unless you sew it for her.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 AM

I was a natural rush-ahead-to see-how-it-looks kind of sewer when I started quilting, and I am not naturally precise and fussy and neat - just the opposite.

MTS on this board suggested Sally Collins and I read her book on machine piecing. It totally turned me around about how to construct a quilt. All the steps I was rushing through or skipping became focal points in the process, and I totally relaxed and slowed down and enjoyed it. Result was improved construction and quality, and I'm still learning almost 3 years later. Thanks to both of them!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Friends have recommended I try a 50 weight sewing thread that will take up less space in the seams. I'm going to Houston to the IQF and will be looking for the 50 weight cotton thread. I already know where the Superior thread booth is.
Any thread lower then 50wt is too thick for piecing. Superior has excellent piecing thread. I use very thin thread in my bobbins like Sew Fine from Superior no matter what the top thread size is. Buy a spool of Superior's silk thread while you are there in a neutral color. You will love it. Also don't forget to get the topstitch needles to fit your thread.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm reminded of a cousin wanting to learn to sew. I helped her make a little dress for her daughter and encouraged her to 'make things right'. Her answer was, 'how will anyone know I made it myself if it is perfect?' So now, when I help someone I try to figure out how 'perfect' they want their item to be and go from there. I sure don't want to discourage anyone from enjoying the craft as much as I do.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
To keep from veering off the seam at the end place your left hand index finger against the outside left edge of the foot when coming to the end. The fabric will not veer. It's second nature for me to do this after I learned it from a very expensive precision quilting workshop. I think once the student realizes her blocks won't match up because of the seams not being accurate she will know then how important it is. It's up to her unless you sew it for her.
I am going to try this tip with the index finger.

I think I need to read the Sally Collins book. I love info about how to do things right. It doesn't always mean it will work for me, but it never hurts, if you are looking for ways to improve.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 AM

When helping my granddaughter to learn the 1/4 inch seam, I purchased a small pad of post-it notes. I placed a half inch or so (in height) on the machine on the mark 1/4 inch from the needle. It gave her something solid to butt up against. She still isn't perfect (neither am I), but a whole lot closer.

Linda in Missouri
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Has she constructed a small top yet? Sometimes the best teaching tool is when they try to put their blocks together and discover that only a little bit out can make it a nightmare. She may stitch her blocks together and still love it wonky and all. If a person is a slap happy quilter, their isn't much you can do to change them.
I have to agree, maybe this would help her get the concept. If they are not right they just will not fit together.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM

Maybe she can do a crazy quilt as each block is different and forgiving, you just cut the final square to your size