Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt? >

I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt?

I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Unhappy I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt?

I have sewn panels (2 ) of 95 inches and (2) panels at 84 inches. Each color strip attached to other.
I made the first mistake by joining the side strips before completing my center piece as I wanted to embroider and applique this when I had more time. I started in the spring, got sick and was not able to get back to any sewing until recently. As you can see quilting is not my forte. I had no pattern just a previous posters pic of a single size quilt.

I am hoping you may see from my images, how to fix this. The corners are pinned only right now and my strips are not matching up. My 5 year old granddaughter's bed is a large double poster style so do not need to hand over end. It is taking up my whole dining room right now and need to get it finished before the holidays. I have not had any quilting lessons as you may see too.
Attached Thumbnails dscf2307-1024x768-.jpg   dscf2304-1024x768-.jpg   dscf2306-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

Your concept of the quilt is terrific. Are any of the borders attached to your center pink?? I would remove them and measure a side of you pink center and mark with pins the same amount on the border. Do one side at a time. Be sure that the pink center corners are square. Your embroidery is cute as a button!! Your granddaughter is going to love it because you made this especially for her. Good Luck
Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Are you asking how to insert the "Emma Grace" embroidered piece and finish up the corners? If so, one way might be to take off the two side bars of the pink tone on tone dot, add a very narrow strip of a coordinating fabric on each side - maybe a purple or white - to build that center section up to be the same width as the white Emma strip. Then stitch the emma strip onto the bottom of that center section. Now go back and stitch the original pink tone on tone dots back on the sides - if the side strips are too short then there are some alternatives, but they'd take more room so won't go into them now.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:18 PM

No just pinned- I had to pin it all just to be able to turn it over and see how badly out of alignment it was. The main issue is that I do not want to lose any width across as I only decided to make it 84 " across. I have some extra length on the sides and I think it's because of the white Emma strip. This is pinned too. I did jot down all kinds of measurement before I cut it out in the spring but of course did not expect to be out of commission so long.
Attached Thumbnails dscf2310-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Did you do the embroidery? If you did, I would set the white aside and go in and embroidery Emma Grace on the pink dotted fabric. It is so cute. I love it and she will too. The 2 dotted pink pieces can be straightened by easing like you do a set in sleeve.

Last edited by barny; 12-06-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

​Can you just hand appliqué the embroidered name in place?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Yes, no problem to hand sew the white name part on after the top completed. It took ages to machine embroider the name so not inclined to re-do that art as I have no time. The pink dotted fabric is a Michael Miller which for some reason has a kind of rubbery feel to it ( for the sheen I suppose) Most of my fabric is used except for a few small patches. The under side will be a cute pink-green watering can design. I hope to have enough to do shams w/it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 PM

You're being too hard on yourself. Your grand daughter is going to absolutely love the quilt and a couple little mistakes won't matter a bit.
Sorry I don't have any good advice for you but I do love the quilt.
Rodney
Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Please help me understand if this what you're saying:

1) You've made 2 strip-pieced borders for the top and bottom of the quilt that are 84" long.
2) You've made 2 strip-pieced borders for the sides of the quilt that are 95" long.
3) The "Emma Grace" section is supposed to be centered.

If I'm right about 3 - and the Emma Grace piece can't be centered in a natural-looking way - then I'd intentionally place it off center. Might even be placed on a diagonal like a banner. The trick is to make it look intentional!

If I'm wrong about 3, and your problem is that you can't make your borders line up, I strongly recommend that you remove them from the center piece. Then measure the center piece thru the middle both vertically and horizontally. Recut your borders to ~those measurements. Next, pin them back onto the center piece carefully, starting with pins in the middles and ends of each side, then halfway between those, and so forth. (When you're trying to fit together two pieces of fabric that are not of exactly the same length, the process is known as "easing.") In addition, I find it more natural to attach the two side pieces before I attach the top and bottom.

Since you're worried about not losing inches in the width of the quilt, you might consider adding another border strip just on the sides. As long as it follows the general character of the quilt, I don't think the eye will care that there's an extra border on those two sides and not the top and bottom.

I hope I'm addressing the question you're asking. If I'm way off base (and no one else has given you the advice you're looking for), please ask again. Just like the others, I'd really like to help you.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Sushi- I suspect you very right, either way it sounds like plenty "o" work. The white name piece is just pinned on the bottom of the pink solid center strip. ( The butterflies are already sewn on. So it can be moved and added after the fact. Since I have very little of the patterned fabric left and I do have some of the solid pink fabric left so am thinking cold add a strip to each center sides. Anyway my DGS has BD party today so have to leave it until tomorrow. Thx all.