Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!  LA skipping stitches and shredding thread. >

HELP! LA skipping stitches and shredding thread.

HELP! LA skipping stitches and shredding thread.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Default HELP! LA skipping stitches and shredding thread.

I'm at my wits end! My Juki LA is skipping stitches and throwing top thread underneath, then breaking the thread. I'm using 40wt. Glide polyester thread with a size 16 needle. I've adjusted the top tension to no avail.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

Are you frame quilting with this machine? If so, my first recommendation would be to set tensions according to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

If that isn't enough (or if you are FMQing not on a frame), you may want to try a size 18 needle. I have used Glide in my Voyager midarm frame setup with both size 16 and size 18 needles with no problems at all, but the larger needle eye probably creates less friction.

Edit: Oops. I see your Juki *is* a longarm. Sorry for missing the obvious in your post!!! My recommendation regarding the video is the same, though, as is trying a size 18 needle if the video settings are not enough. My best guess is that your bobbin tension is too high, which is why you need to reset bobbin tension before adjusting top tension. This would also account for the top thread being pulled too far down. Skipping stitches is usually a mismatch between thread size and needle size.

Coffee. Must get more coffee.......

Last edited by Prism99; 12-09-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Basics:
snip the thread at the cone and pull it through the needle. Rethread, running through the tensions and flossing it through if necessary.
Is your bobbin wound correctly..........not too loose or too tightly.
Needles are not inspected for quality.......you may have a bad needle.......replace it! On my Gammill if its not centered absolutely correctly [we use round, no flat side needle] we have needle problems.......tension, broken thread, etc.
Thread in top and bobbin should be the same weight unless you are using Bottom Line in the bobbin.

Step back, Exhale........take deep breaths.........relax, walk away for a few minutes........Get a cup or glass of your favorite brew [coffee, soda, etc] say a prayer always helps me.
Best Wishes!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Also make sure that the needle is oriented correctly and is all the way up in the shaft.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM

Trying rethreading and changing the needle. Even if you just put the needle in, maybe it has a burr. On my Gammill, I adjust the bobbin tension much more often than the top tension. Glide thread does not give me a problem so I think the needle may be the culprit.