Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt? >

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Plz!!!What did I do wrong with this quilt?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Oh dear, that's alot of work. I think it's one of those things that if the center is off, the rest of it will be off. I have always heard that lonestars are hard. But I do love the colors, it's worth saving. I would carefully take apart any that don't line up right and be as perfect as possible with seam allowances.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:04 AM

Someone made the remark that it looks like you took a deeper seam towards the middle to keep it from bulging. I agree. If you look closely, the left side matches at the intersection of the first diamond, but by the second diamond, the diamonds don't match. By the time you get to the white in the middle, most if those diamonds on the left have been sewn into the seam. Hopefully you haven't trimmed the seams. It really shouldn't be to difficult to repair, just a bit tedious. If you have paper that has a grid, I would suggest using that as a foundation as if you were paper piecing for one half of the star, easing into square if it has been stretched. If you don't want to go that route, you might consider stabilizing the seam with a seam just to the right of where you want the final seam to be with a regular size stitch...not a basting stitch..carefully feeding the fabric so it doesn't stretch anymore. Once one side is solid, carefully match up the intersecting seams with pins as suggested earlier. One other thing I've learned, stitch from the center out. Since you love the fabric, you will treasure the quilt when you get it to the point that you like the results. It doesn't have to be perfect, just loved.!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM

def going to have to take your star sections apart......looks like issues start in very center - you should have 8 diamonds in center of your center color and it looks like you've lost part of that (not sure if it's in sewing or where), but that is throwing you off all the way out. I agree with cjsews about pinning each seam on your star sections and then love the idea of applique to one large piece of fabric (wish I'd thought of that with mine, lol). Good luck.....it's too beautiful to give up on!!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 AM

there's a reason they are called "lone stars." most people make 1 and no more! they are the lone star in a quilter's history

patience. and persistence. and what they all said. you have to get that centre star worked out before you can worry about everything else.

aileen
Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by lb70542 View Post
Yes Geri ....They are very very wonky!!!
Hey Neighbor! I think if you just corrected the background and put it together it would be fine -- "wonky center star" and all. I know you would want it to be done right, but that will come. That is how we learn. I have never had the courage to make something as complicated as this gorgeous star. I still cringe when I see the blocks I made on my first quilt. but 18 years later, it's still being used and still looks fine. So, don't fret and finish this one up so you can make another pretty.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:27 PM

I'd have to agree with nativetexan. Try her suggestion first.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:41 PM

I actually don't think it looks that bad except maybe for the center wonky star. I would only try to fix it if it was a gift. It it was for me, I would just leave it alone. I don't obsess about not being perfect . Mistakes add to the charm. That's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL
Old 12-28-2013, 01:49 AM

When I held my mouse over your picture and clicked it enlarged it.. The diamonds ended up different sizes and the joined seams on the larger

I made a 60degree diamond star quilt(makes 6 points) and the blocks were strip pieced and I made some with 45 degree diamond blocks which makes 8 point star...looking closely my seams on some of them were a little off.. seams need to match and be very close to exact. [ATTACH=CONFIG]453523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]453524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-2013-12-28-00.06.jpg   14335_1083701272035_7304429_n.jpg  
Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Loretta: I think your color choices are beautiful. I hope you find a way to make this work. The lone star is one of the challenging quilts I really want to attempt one day. Think of it this way, you know so much by just attempting it. There are so many skilled quilters on this board, if you took it apart and showed each step as you put it back together I bet many would be willing to walk you through it. Please let us know what happens.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 AM

for the set in squares u need to cut squares 2 inches longer than the diamonds. then cut 4 squares in half and 2 squares in 4....this will give u plenty of room for your points and wont cut them off