Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 12-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
....Not having the knowledge of exactly what some of the parts fit or the need for so many of them like the thread cutters I wouldn't have bid. It all depends on a person's needs or wants and in your case I'm sure you'll do ok with it.
Rodney
That’s the fun part of buying a “pig-in-a-poke”. You never know for sure until you get it if there is anything really interesting in the group. My interest is in the taps that are in the plastic stowage. Are they regular taps, or are they maybe a complete set of Singer special thread taps? I’m guessing regular in that kind of packaging, but I can use another set of small regular taps. Did you notice the other taps in the plain bag? I wonder what they are? Extra “regular” taps....or specialized Singer taps? The last small Singer tap that I bought back in July cost me $25 Dealer Cost.

The box looks like a box that a sewing machine mechanic would have around. It looks like two names, a man and wife possibly, in label tape on the tackle box. I wonder how long they worked on sewing machines? Some of the items in the group seem to be older Singer items, like the needle boxes that have other parts in them. It’s been a while since Bernard made belt pliers, although they could have bought them used. And speaking of other parts, there’s a bunch of check springs in one, and a bunch of bobbin case springs in another.....

As a side note, I bought 4-5 Priority boxes of miscellaneous “old sewing machine mechanic parts” from that auction site back in 2006 when I was getting going with my sewing machine repair shop, and I’m still digging good useable parts out of that lot that come in handy today. Back in 2006 when I first looked at them, I didn’t have a clue what some of them were, but as time goes on, and I see more sewing machines, I’m finding more and more goodies in that lot that are life-savers.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Play nice guys. I don't want to see either one of you gone.
Rodney
Yea. That’s why I call this thread and others like it the “bully threads”. I don’t care much for them, but I hang around to see if me or mine are being made fun of. When I see that, I speak up, loud and clear. I won’t hold back. Threads like this one are pretty close to my perception of “bullying”, which includes a group of people getting together for the express purpose of belittling or otherwise making fun of another person. Many times, the person making fun of someone else doesn’t know what they’re talking about. I like to point that out for them.

We have so many threads on QB to try helping others. I don’t like seeing anyone making fun of someone else, and particularly seeing a group dog-piling effect that can and does come from comments made on a bully thread. I know, it’s human nature to want to be part of “the click” or to make the cutest remark, but I just don’t care for it.

These kinds of threads have been waxed in the past for a reason....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Yea. That’s why I call this thread and others like it the “bully threads”. I don’t care much for them, but I hang around to see if me or mine are being made fun of.
Very perceptive CD. I like your attitude.

As an aside: How did you make the slanted quote marks?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:48 PM

Awwwwwwwww

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Lot-...pair/197348065
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/art/4811090087.html
I don't know what these are worth - I think price depends on if you are buying or selling...
Old 12-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Sabine when you look close a lot of those machines are missing a bunch of parts. I don't think I would mess with them. There might be a few salvageable machines or usable parts but the reality is some parts are more commonly broken or missing than others and those are the parts that demand a premium when buying or selling them. If those parts are missing then the machine is most likely scrap.

Miriam I love the foot controller on the W&G.
Rodney
Old 12-21-2014, 10:23 AM

Sabine when you look close a lot of those machines are missing a bunch of parts. I don't think I would mess with them.
Rodney
Yes, those can be yard ornaments or jewelry holders or lamps ;-) - I just thought they looked like a herd of sheep, lost.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sews View Post
I bet the seller is one of those who "upcycle" the cabinets and irons. No need of the machines.

Cari
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM

notice that most all the hand wheels have been recently removed, they have taken the pieces that might sell quickly , There are still some slide plates

at the same time there in long term there would be a host of parts. as in screws. This makes you wonder how many people have lager stashes of machines .

I've mentioned Ol freds. I did see them in 1987 ? as his son says there's around 120 to 130 machines still sitting there ..
Old 12-21-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I bet the seller is one of those who "upcycle" the cabinets and irons. No need of the machines.

Cari
Yes, he sells the hand wheels in lots of 10 and the foot rests and has *many* iron leg listings. Who knows though whether he cannibalized perfectly good machines - I doubt it. Not may people want the treadles though, even for free..... I didn't want ours, and it turned out to be in perfectly good shape.