Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

He also has trouble getting his information right. If you scroll down he's already had to make two corrections to his ad, and I'm in discussion with him now about another error. He's saying this is one of the first year issued machines, but going by the serial number it's obviously not.

Cari
Old 12-20-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
No you've got it backwards. The seller has the starting bid price at $459, the buy-it-now price was probably $500(or more). Since someone bid on it, the buy-it-now goes away, and you only see the bid. Sellers will do that hoping that the bidding will go beyond the buy-it-now price and they'll get more than what they want for it. Some sellers will have just a few dollars difference between the opening bid price and the buy-it-now price. I think they do it so people will just hit the buy-it-now button instead of bidding.

Cari
Oh! OK, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification Cari! Back in the day when I first looked into selling on ebay, it didn't seem this complex. The buy it now disappears with -any- bid, not just a higher one.

He also has trouble getting his information right. If you scroll down he's already had to make two corrections to his ad, and I'm in discussion with him now about another error. He's saying this is one of the first year issued machines, but going by the serial number it's obviously not.

Cari
I saw that too. I can't tell for sure with the model badge if it says 301 or 301A, but it strikes me that it should look different than it does.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Repainted machines go for a lot more than the factory ones-at least in the case of featherweights. Looks like the seller is aiming for the same market. There's a lot of labor in properly prepping and painting a machine like that and that doesn't look like a rattle can paint job. They might get the money they want.
I much prefer an auction like that over the ones with hidden reserves. The seller is at least open about how much money they want for the machine in this case.
Rodney

EDIT: I didn't see the buy it now option. Strange that someone would bid higher than that. Could be a mistake while setting up the auction maybe?
As well they should! I probably have 4 hours into mine so far and at least that once it's painted for reassembly an adjustment. That's a huge commitment of time that should be compensated.

Now that I understand what happened, I agree that the opening bid method is the more customer friendly way to go. It's really a waste of everyone's time to have a hidden reserve.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:06 PM

It's also possible the seller is shill-bidding his own auction with a different account. It's against eBay's TOS but it happens. Or it could be that someone really wants what is admittedly a beautiful machine.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:29 PM

I probably use Buy-it-Now and Auction about 50-50 these days. On some things, I like the B-I-N to make sure that I get it, and on others, if I get outbid, it’s no big deal. I hate it when I really want something that is listed as an auction, and then have to wait to see if I get “sniped” a few seconds before the auction closes. It’s all kind of fun, I guess.

As others have mentioned here, I also enjoy buying or placing a bid on a “pig-in-a-poke” from time to time. It’s those listings that have several photos of a group of things, but no meaningful information in the description. The photos are pretty much the only information about what is in the group, and positive identification is nearly impossible, even when the photos are enlarged, lightened, darkened, etc.

I made one of those B-I-N surprise buys on the auction site today. Look at it and see if you think I got my money’s worth. I’ll have to wait until it gets here to see what all is in the tackle box. It’s a surprise Christmas present to myself!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-20-2014, 03:35 PM

school of life. a Business name using the word ,, Enterprises .... put a hand in each back pocket.... squeeze very hard walk away ... quickly
Old 12-20-2014, 03:58 PM

that set of pliers would be around 45$.

In the upper right corner of the box. it looks like neway seat cutters ? Do you think thats what those are ?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
school of life. a Business name using the word ,, Enterprises .... put a hand in each back pocket.... squeeze very hard walk away ... quickly
Not called for. My business has the word Enterprises in it, so just keep squeezing hard and walking away. It won’t bother me a bit, and I’m glad to see you go.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM

Is that an altered foot controller? The design makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Not called for. My business has the word Enterprises in it, so just keep squeezing hard and walking away. It won’t bother me a bit, and I’m glad to see you go.

CD in Oklahoma
Ha ha ha
Old 12-20-2014, 05:05 PM

Play nice guys. I don't want to see either one of you gone.
The leather belt pliers are nice. Looks like you'll get your money's worth out of the parts in there too.
Not having the knowledge of exactly what some of the parts fit or the need for so many of them like the thread cutters I wouldn't have bid. It all depends on a person's needs or wants and in your case I'm sure you'll do ok with it.
Rodney