Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2014 Birthday Swap 2.5  sign up now  !!!! >

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I made this one for my grown son, out of shirts and homespuns. Isn't this the shoo-fly pattern? Also known as monkey wrench and hole-in-the-barn-door?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...51-426769.html
So funny, I always knew your square as the Churn Dash. I should upload a picture of my Shoo Fly, although the finished one is in poor shape at this point - no binding left, zigzagged over. So incredibly soft, though!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Karen G View Post
All of my birthday candies, can't decide what to do first! I have patterns chosen. Thank you all, again.
Karen G,

I did see some squares that I could have sent, but I'm still not sure if you received my package. Could you check? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by mrshalibut View Post
So funny, I always knew your square as the Churn Dash. I should upload a picture of my Shoo Fly, although the finished one is in poor shape at this point - no binding left, zigzagged over. So incredibly soft, though!
I just did a search for the Churn Dash and this is what every source showed as the Churn Dash.

Your block is a Churn Dash! I didn't look close enough at the picture you posted.

The Monkey Wrench is made with two squares between the HST's.
The Shoo Fly is made with one square between the HST's.

I hope I have this right now! Need to pay attention to details. LOL
Attached Thumbnails churn-dash.gif  

Last edited by dottie dodge; 06-01-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Hi B'day girls. Your packages went in the mail on Friday. I am out of town for the next four weeks so am sending everyone's candy at the same time so you don't get forgotten. I should be back for the July b'days. Enjoy all the goodies that will come your way.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM

1) board name/real first name Jannie / Janet
2) how long have you been quilting? About 20 years
3) favorite quilting tool Today I would say my rotary cutter
4) favorite quilt you have made and why? Today my favorite is the purple Hunter Star I have just finished.
5) favorite color (not a quilt question) Blue and Red
6) favorite flower Carnation
7) best advice you can give Treats others as you want to be treated.
8) any other quilt spots you visit online besides quilting board? Janet Wickell - About.com quilting
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 AM

) board name/real first name Gannierosie/ Mary
2) how long have you been quilting? Started by helping Aunt do HQ sometime around 16, never really sewed much. Piddled with hand sewing for about a year around 18. Didn't start actual quilt making till I retired in 2007.
3) favorite quilting tool... My tiny needle nose pliers when HQ
4) favorite quilt you have made and why? Since I was 18 I always wanted to make a Grandmothers Garden, never had time working/taking care of family. So in 2009 I finally went for it, but it had a meaning. My eldest daughter whom lives away in Hong Kong loved her clothes ( had to be cotton and no buttons/zippers). I saved many of them from her childhood since they were still in very good condition. So I started my Quilt, with her clothes, some of my dress's my mom made for me when in HS, and some of my mom's old clothes. I added some new fabric and 9 months later, my all hand stiched and hand quilted baby was born. ( it's my avatar). This is my proudest quilt for I waited over 30 years to be able to have the time to dedicate to it.
5) favorite color (not a quilt question). Hum, I really don't have one, but I tell my grandson's purple, since they have one.
6) favorite flower. A rose
7) best advice you can give. There are two sides to every man, make sure you like both before you say yes.
8) any other quilt spots you visit online besides quilting board? Only if I'm looking for an idea or inspiration, it could be anywhere. I think I've seen all of the MSQ company's you tubes though.

Interesting survey.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Gannyrosie, thank you for your info. I got really important information from it! I never thought to use needle nose pliers to pull the needle out if needed while hand quilting. I use those mailing "fingers" and just try to pull and pull, but it does hurt my hand sometimes. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:12 AM

contest winner this time is maT yeah prize will shipped shortly
Old 06-02-2014, 07:33 AM

mrshalibut...I have you down for Karen g receiving your package

Originally Posted by mrshalibut View Post
Karen G,

I did see some squares that I could have sent, but I'm still not sure if you received my package. Could you check? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:41 AM

thanks to all of you who posted your questionnaire!!!!
It is so fun to learn new things about everyone!
I do think that Gannyrosie had the best advice so far...There are two sides to every man, make sure you like both before you say yes. love it!!!!
When I posted best advice to give...I meant quilting advice...but you ladies have the best advice around. Thanks for sharing!!!