Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rowenta iron DW8080 >

rowenta iron DW8080

rowenta iron DW8080

Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 AM

Default rowenta iron DW8080

I'm in need of a new iron and I've been doing research on this model. This model has good customer reviews, but it is very expensive, even on Amazon, and I need to find out a very important (for me) piece of information before I spend all that money. Can anyone tell me if I am able to completely override the auto shutoff on the Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master iron? I have that feature on my Reliable V100 model and like to use it so that the iron stays on throughout the day. The Rowenta 8080 has a 3 way shutoff, but no mention of being able to turn this feature off. Don't want the iron if I can't bypass the shutoff. Also, if you own this model, have you had any problems with it, and would you buy it again?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 AM

I just purchased the Rowenta Eco. I reviewed it on this board. It has the auto shut off but it heats back up quickly. It never fully "cools" off in the shut iff mode. That is why you must unplug it after use.

Read the manual in regard to what water to use in it. Very important. I love my Rowenta.
sandy
Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 AM

That is the model I have and I am not aware of being able to override the auto-shut off. But it does reheat fast and is a great iron. My only complaint is that it makes so much steam it seems I am constantly having to add water!!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM

I do hope this Rowenta doesn't leak like the other 5 or 6 my sister and I have bought. All the reviews I read say every Rowenta leaks sooner or later and with mine it was sooner. I hope you get a good one.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 AM

After years of salivating over a Rowenta iron I finally broke down and bought one. I loved it for the first few months and then it started spitting water. I faithfully used only distilled water and cleaned it often. I am so disappointed. I attended a quilting seminar where I used a small steam iron made by Sunbeam and I liked it so much that I bought one. I paid less than $20.00 for it and that included shipping. I have been using it now for about 3 months and haven't had one problem with it. It has way more steam and gets hotter than my Rowenta. Just my opinion but Rowenta is not the iron it used to be. Read some of the posts on this forum and you will find lots of thoughts about them.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Since the technical details on the Rowenta site don't mention bypassing the auto-shutoff, I doubt that you can do so. For me the problem with Rowenta wasn't the quality so much as the customer support. I had to send my iron under warranty to the only west-coast authorized repair shop, and the shop owner was rude and incompetent. And then the iron quit working again just after it went out of warranty!

Just out of curiosity, are you having problems with the V100? That's the iron I'm using now, and I really like it.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

not sure of that model, but be sure to read complaints on that brand iron. catching fire was mentioned very often.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM

I'm on my second Rowenta (purchased at Costco). LOVE - shuts off when not in use, but heats up very quickly when you are ready for it. HATE - leaking. They seem to be fine for awhile and then leak all over the place. I'm just using mine as a dry iron now.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by onice View Post
Can anyone tell me if I am able to completely override the auto shutoff on the Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master iron? I have that feature on my Reliable V100 model and like to use it so that the iron stays on throughout the day. The Rowenta 8080 has a 3 way shutoff, but no mention of being able to turn this feature off. Don't want the iron if I can't bypass the shutoff. Also, if you own this model, have you had any problems with it, and would you buy it again?

No, you cannot bypass the automatic shut off on the DW8080. I've had mine for a year and it still is working well.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM

I have a Rowenta. Not sure of the model, however, look at the bottom. Does it indent ~2" from the top on each side and then flare back out? Usually that's where I'm applying pressure on the piecing when ironing. Sometimes that will leave a crease where I'm ironing the fabric. I find that annoying. Honestly I had a black and decker iron for years and years prior to this one. I'll look at the base plate in the future before purchasing.

That being said, it's not finicky with the water (yet), and if there's too much steam, I adjust the switch to decrease it. Good luck with your decision.