Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine? >

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 AM

I've hade the machine for 10 years. No complaints, nice stitch, goes through multiple layers. Only complaint I heard of was that one lady said the thread kept breaking - however, she was putting the needle in the wrong way and was not aware that it should be inserted sideways. I use this machine and a serger in preference to computerised machines.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 AM

I have one and love, love, love it. I use mostly Superior and Connecting Threads thread but have not had any problems with any other that I have used. Might have to change needles or adjust tension for different threads.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 AM

I bought mine almost two yrs. ago for FMQing mostly, but now find myself piecing with it more and more too as time goes on, it is so open and the regular sewing foot with about an 1/8th to the right side gives me a good 1/4" seam every time. I love this machine.
As for thread, I use mostly cones for top and LBobs for bobbin and they last a long time and that is a good thing, because if this machine has a drawback, it is the bobbin placement and the access to changing the bobbin is frustrating, especially with old arthritic hands.

Last edited by Yooper32; 03-24-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:18 AM

The only thing, I have stayed away from the Feed Pin setting. I have no clue what this is for. Can anyone explain what this is, how you would know if it needs changing, and if it is hard to change? I might be missing something. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
The only thing, I have stayed away from the Feed Pin setting. I have no clue what this is for. Can anyone explain what this is, how you would know if it needs changing, and if it is hard to change? I might be missing something. Thanks.
es

The feed pin is one of the best features this machine has. I really like it especially when putting on binding. Kinda like another walking foot. Well maybe a mini walking foot. Sometimes a walking foot is kind of needed but the pin does the job.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 AM

Thumbs up Wonderful Machine

Originally Posted by Kl60 View Post
Hi, I'm Kay, I just purchased a pq 1500s machine and was wondering if anyone has one and would share with me how you like it and are satisfied with it. What kind of thread do you use? And if you would have any tips for me about it?
Kay, you will love your new 1500S sewing machine. It is my workhorse and use it constantly for piecing and free motion quilting. I use all threads except Coats and Clark. For some reason, one of my other Brother sewing machines that I use for decorative stitching does not like it, so I certainly don't use it on the 1500S. Frequent dusting with a small paint brush and a pipe cleaner keeps the areas around the bobbin and under the faceplate clean. Get acquainted with your manual which will tell you where to oil (there are 'holes' on the top of the machine and by the faceplate for oiling) and I use just two to three drops of oil every two to three weeks. It is, by far, the best sewing machine I have ever used. I hope you will enjoy yours as well.

Last edited by JoantheQuilter; 03-24-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: p.s.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 AM

Just a p.s. I've had my machine since 2002 or 2003 and have only had it in for yearly servicing. You will note that the machine has not changed since it first came out as it is a mechanical machine that works like a horse.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I use pin feed for all sewing except when I drop the feed dogs. I have a stitch regulator someone gave me for the Brother 1500. I haven't taken it out of the box. I thing it is more for using the machine on a frame though.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Thanks for all this info this morning, ladies. I will be going to Texas this week to give beginning sewing lessons to three of my granddaughters, and a friend who loves my quilting and wants to learn at least how to piece one. I am sure they will all want suggestions on what machine to buy if they decide they want to get serious with this. None of them would pay $Ks for a sewing machine, so I am thinking this Brother might be a good idea for them. Can you get it at Walmart? I am sure that will be their first question when I suggest one. I am taking two machines with me--one of my FWs, and a Singer that I bought at Walmart on sale. The FW will be WITH ME, and if the baggage people break the Singer, it cost me $350, you know.....I'll be watching this post all this week until I get ready to fly, so any suggestions you ladies have for me, come on down.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

The Brother 1500 is not sold at discount stores. I've only seen them online or at dealers. It's worth the full price but you can usually find one on sale. Be sure and pack your FW in a padded case, the baggage handlers will toss it, they toss all luggage and packed boxes, they don't have time to lift and sit. I would carry it as a carry on.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-24-2014 at 08:25 AM.