Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could there be a long arm in my future? >

Could there be a long arm in my future?

Could there be a long arm in my future?

Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 AM

Default Could there be a long arm in my future?

This weekend my DH and a friend of ours went to a quilt show. DH likes to view the quilt show and really takes an interest in voting for viewer's choice, but he hates the vendors. To my surprise he came and found me while I was checking out the vendors and told me I had to test drive the HQ Avante. Now this was weird because we had pretty much ruled out a long arm for me due to my shoulder tendonitis. So I gave it a whirl and was surprised at how easy it glided over the fabric. Hmmm, the possibilities! Maybe I can handle a long arm! This may even be better for my shoulder given I wouldn't have to wrestle the quilt to get it into position. Now I have the ask myself would I use it enough to justify spending that much money. I haven't even mastered FMQing on my Juki 2010TL. I have just recently come to the conclusion that it is time to look into finding a class.

So now I have a few questions for y'all.

How hard it is to learn how to use the Avante? I wouldn't want to spend all that money and then just look at it askance because it frustrated the heck out of me!

Are they known for having tension issues? That would defeat me in no time!

Do they require a lot of maintenance? How often do they need servicing?

Would you get the 10' or 12' frame?

Is there any difference between the Avante and the Babylock Crown Jewel? I understand they are the same machine, but do they come with different options? Is one more advantageous to have? The Babylock dealer is much closer to me, but the HQ dealer isn't too far away and I understand the HQ folks have great customer service.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:04 AM

While I don't have any of the machines you mentioned, I do have a Bernina 780 on a 10' frame with QuiltMotion Creative Touch Pad (the computerized quilting program). I opted to go computerized because I didn't want to take the time to learn how to free motion quilt, but I have the option of releasing my machine if I want to do so. I only have 10" of throat space but with the upgraded version of the Creative Touch Pad I am able to do larger blocks by splitting the design. Bernina is coming out with a long arm this year so I believe I may be upgrading to that system. Fortunately, my SIL and I own part of the current set up together and will be doing the same thing with the new Bernina long arm system. I chose Bernina because the dealer is practically in my backyard and does their own servicing. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

If you have the room and the money, go for it. I really believe that you need the space for a large frame. Those tables I just can't see working because once again you need support for the quilt. I had a great set up and never had a problem with quilting queen size quilts on my Bernina 1530.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 AM

My experience:

I found the Avante very easy to learn and have had no tension issues. I quilted two charities quilts in the store before I even brought it home, so instruction on loading, threading, and simple quilting really helped.

I have the option to assemble the 12 foot frame, and probably will this summer when we move things around. I haven't had my machine in for any service or maintenance issues after owning it for 3 years, and it was a heavily used machine before I bought it used.

I have no experience with the other machine you mentioned, so I can't compare.

Last edited by DebraK; 03-31-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM

I have the Avante/Crown Jewel on a 12 ft table. I upgraded from the 16" HQ which I bought used. I had that machine for 8 years and maintenance consisted of removing lint in the bobbin area and adding a drop of oil with every bobbin change.
The Babylock dealer in my area is selling "Quilt Motion" as the computer software. Friends with Quilt Motion hate it as there is no support. My system has "ProStitcher" and it has a lot more capability than Quilt Motion. HQ has a ton of videos on how to use the machine and the software plus there are live webinars every other month. Go to the HQ website and look at the "education" tab.

The tables sold by Babylock and HQ are different so take a close look. Babylock's are by the Grace Company and look like the wooden frames Grace Company has made for years. I prefer the smoother look and feel of the HQ frame but each to their own.

I use all types of thread and am constantly changing the tension. Jamie Wallen does a great YouTube video on tension that is applicable to all longarms (Taking the stress out of Longarm tension). Let your dealer know tension is an issue for you and have them show you how to make changes. Or you can stick to a particular brand of thread and the same type of fabric to avoid most of the tension issues.

Like any other tool, you need to practice and develop your confidence level as you build your skill set. Don't expect to learn everything overnight and don't be over-critical of yourself in the process. This is a big investment so take your time and if possible, test drive other brands.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM

I don't own one of these. I have an old manual Gammill PDQ-30, no computerization of any kind, just the longest longarm out there.

The learning curve to be as good as some of the quilters you see on You Tube, blogs, etc, is fairly HIGH. It requires muscle memory, drawing skill and a certain amount of stamina to do it for long periods. You also need extra tools if you want to draw things like perfect circles and straight lines. Free motion is easier.

I have a bad shoulder too, and I've actually found that using my longarm is therapeutic for it. It's gentle range of motion exercise, makes me think of Pilates sometimes ;-). Make sure and stretch before doing it.

"Tension" problems come frequently from running the machine too fast or too slow for the motion you're doing. They also come from unmatched needle eye and thread, from dulled needle, burred thread pathway, making your quilt sandwich too tight, etc. You will find people with any machine, sometimes because they don't understand the problems. You will combat these problems with any quilter if you don't take the time to understand how the thread feeds and what to do when the problems arise.

Industrial quilters are expensive. I've heard stories of many that stay unused in the basement or get sold for a song to just get rid of them. They are not for everyone. Go in with your eyes open. Maybe rent one for awhile and see how you like it first.

But I find that mine is a joy. That was not always so. I'm glad I didn't sell it when I wanted to. The newfound patience that maybe comes with age? is what makes me enjoy it now.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM

Sounds like you were at the Evergreen Quilt Show I personally just bought an Advante from the dealer you spoke with at the show. I've had my machine for 3 weeks and LOVE it. The dealer will teach you everything you need to know to operate the machine properly and adjust any tension issues. As others stated above, there will be some learning curve to the actual quilting design part, but I look at that as you just need to practive. The dealer offers all kinds of classes and even will do customized training based on what you want. You don't even need to have one of their machines to take their classes.

I personally got the 12 foot table since I build the room to fit that size frame. I have quilted 2 quilts on the machine so far - both were entered into the show and I was able to get a 3rd place ribbon. So I have not had any tension issues. That being said, the dealer does teach you how to adjust and what to check before you start quilting to ensure you have even stitches.

Feel free to private message me if you want to know more about my experience. Good luck making the decision.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM

I can tell you this thru my experience it is easier on my shoulders to use the longarm. I have had surgery on both of my shoulders and just could not wrestle with the quilts on domestic anymore.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

Love my longarm! One other consideration is the amount of space it takes up. You will need at least 3 feet in front, in back and along at least one side of the frame. The frame is about 3 1/2 feet wide, so you are looking at 9 by either 13 or 15 feet. I have my 10' frame in a 10' X 16' room and there's not a lot of additional space (although you can store tons of stuff underneath!)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM

My HQ is on a 10' frame as that was all the room I had in my dining room. And yes like newbee3 said, the LA is much easier on your shoulder than the domestic. You do not have to layer your quilts (that was a job!) as loading is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, did take a bit of time to learn how to do it right. I found that on the LA my free motion was so much easier to do than on the sit down type of machine. You are basically using the machine like you would a pencil. I use all brands and types of thread on my machine and the HQ service is A1.