the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

the back side of the quilt - how to make it behave

Old 04-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I hand baste.
Me too...!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
Is there a secret that I don't know about? I always get some agrivation with the back side of the quilts....how do you keep those little wrinkles from forming? I hold tight when I am sewing, and I try very hard to keep any wrinkles or folds out of the back fabric, but still I always seem to get some spots that I am not pleased with........I use a lot of safety pins when pinning the sandwich....what am I doing wrong?
Are you using a walking foot? if not I would recommend you buy one. Best Wishes for future quilting.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 AM

I am a big fan of washable school glue basting. No overspray or fumes that you get from spray basting. No extra weight and bulk that you get from pins. So much faster and easier on my back and fingers too than pin basting.

I do it in sections so you don't need a huge table but as large as is comfortable. I lay my batting down and holding the glue bottle 6-12" above the bat I let the glue come out in a thin stream. I make a large zig zag pattern with the glue and then go in the other direction. You don't need much glue. I then lay by quilt back over that and smooth out with my hands. If I'm in a hurry I'll run a hot iron over it but I usually just let it sit there for a few hours until it's dry enough and then reposition it and repeat the process for another section. When the back is done I flip it over and repeat it for the front. So easy and no wrinkles ever. By putting the batting down first you have more weight than with the fabric and things don't shift. You are also controlling the fabric with your hands when you lay it on top of the batting so there is no clamping down of anything. Anything else that came along would have to be pretty fantastic for me to change!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by klgls View Post
Pinkcastle - do you "paint" over the whole area - or it is a hit and miss approach? Since I have been doing a lot FMQ on my domestic - I'm seriously thinking of using this method and I dislike stopping to remove pins too. Thanks.
klgls,

Yes, I paint the whole area, but in sections. First I lay down the batting and then the top, matching centers. I pull the top back so half of the batting is exposed. I paint a swath of the glue and then smooth the top over the batting where the glue is. I then continue until that half is done. Turn it around and do the other half. (I work on my cutting table so I have to turn it around to do the other half.) Then I let it sit for a couple of hours before doing the same thing with the backing. I'm not sure you have to wait, but I like the idea of giving it some time to start drying. I let it dry completely before quilting. All that being said, if I'm not going to wash the quilt when it's done, then I pin baste. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 AM

I also suffer, or should I say suffered with this problem. First of all I do use the spray adhesive even on my larger quilts. But I have to say time and experience was a really big help. I have fewer of those pesky wrinkles. (psst.... one thing that helps also is to use a print background and if the wrinkles are small, just wash the quilt and they often just disappear.)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:23 AM

I take the "rolls" from batting. JoAnns will give them to you. Lay out the backing and roll it up and then the top. Anchor the backing at the top to the table or floor and unroll about 12", glue spray, place backing and hand press, spray the batting, then put on top. Now, hand baste every 10" or sew.
continue on until done. (Hope this makes since) This will stay together for years until you get ready to quilt. Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
Is there a secret that I don't know about? I always get some agrivation with the back side of the quilts....how do you keep those little wrinkles from forming? I hold tight when I am sewing, and I try very hard to keep any wrinkles or folds out of the back fabric, but still I always seem to get some spots that I am not pleased with........I use a lot of safety pins when pinning the sandwich....what am I doing wrong?

Smooth, smooth, smooth....and use spray baste. I had puckers and fold overs on the first quilt I quilted on my Brother 450Q, but I managed to unstitch and get them out. The next one, I was VERY careful to check the back and make sure it was as smooth as I could get it.

It's a problem, I agree. Only constant vigilance, I think, can prevent wrinkles and puckers on the back when quilting on a DSM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:50 PM

I use 505 and never had a problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 PM

I hand baste, too - Sharon Schamber's method. I'm working on a king size quilt, took it to church and laid the quilt out on the tables - had a rolling chair and just slid up and down the tables basting. Took me about 3-4 hours. I can't imagine gluing it would have been much less time.

I wouldn't glue anyway - pretty happy w/ the hand basting.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:10 PM

I had the same problem until I discovered spray basting...and I find when I quilt I'm not pulling the fabric as much, less distortion, which means my hands don't stiffen up either..win win!