Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am back from Paducah! >

I am back from Paducah!

I am back from Paducah!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM

I would love to go, but I hesitate because of the crowds. I don't think it would be fun if you couldn't get up close and have a real hands-on experience. And how about the traffic and lodging problems? We live so far away we would have to stay at least a couple of nights. Do motels/hotels offer shuttle service? I've been to the quilting expo in Atlanta, GA, but it's in one convention center building with plenty of parking. Not like a whole town situation. I just can't understand how you get from one place to another. Would love for someone to report on the logistics of something this big and crowded. But I love to hear about your fun and good times from those of you who get to go.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM

I got back last night. Had a great time. The quilts are amazing works of art. I am only about 140 miles from Paducah and I usually go for 1 day but I have an Aunt that has recently moved there so I stayed a couple nights with her.

The motels are booked completely. There are several bus routes that circle by different motels and campgrounds as well as Hancocks, Calico Country, Ky Oaks Mall, Quilt in a Day Warehouse, Quilt Museum and several other stops.
There is also the Downtown Trolley that goes thru the downdown area where there are many stores and shops.

I was disappointed I didn't see Eleanor's show because of the crowded conditions. I hope she makes different arrangements next year.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Been once and loved it.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:59 AM

I found that once you go, you get the lay of the land, it is not hard to get around. they have maps also.Plenty of trolleys and buses to take you around if you want to stand in line. It is free. I prefer to walk everywhere. I must say I did enjoy it. Eleanor burns store and warehouse was a bit of a mad house for me. i am kinda sorry i didn't stand in line for a few things but maybe next year. Food stands at the main area. also on the south side was some great food places. Yea, it was all good!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 AM

It's on my bucket list to go.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

For those of you who go to the "BIG" shows like Padukah, etc., and have been to both Padukah and the PIQF in Santa. Clara, CA, how do they compare?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 AM

We drove up on Thursday morning, spent all afternoon at the show, went back Friday and finally felt like we had seen it all a little after lunchtime. It is crowded, but not terrible. Spent the afternoon having a late lunch and going through the shops in town. The quilts are wonderful - an art form that we can really understand and appreciate. - It's always fun to see what the vendors have. Didn't see anything new, but I just love to watch Deb Tucker demo her rulers, so bought some of those. I generally am not interested in fabric at the show - no bargains to be had there, but love to see all the booths and the "real" quilts (meaning those that I could actually make) hanging in them. We also went down to the rotary club show - there is a woman in there with her indian batiks that I just love, so always like to get a few things from her. What I don't get is all the noise about Hancock's. I went in there last year and didn't think I would bother to go back - but I travelled with a friend this year, so we went. I just do not like that store - probably the way it is organized, and the way that all the sale stuff is just interspersed with everything else. The "back room" had batiks that I don't care too much about - but nothing else really of interest. I am going to skip it next year. On Saturday morning we went to the Museum, which is fantastic, and then back home. I am definitely going to make hotel arrangements as soon as I can for next year to hopefully get something in town. I'm lucky to live just 3 hours away, so an easy trip.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 AM

My friend and I went for 2 days, Friday and Saturday. We only live an hour away, but instead of wasting time driving too and from, we get a room. We went to Elenor's show which we always enjoy and then had dinner with her, fun. Met so many wonderful ladies - bought some cool stuff, lol. We don't go to eat so I cannot recommend anything we ate - avoided the strawberry shortcake like the plague. Just a great time. They say the Houston show is the one you need to attend, 800+ vendors all in one building. I can't figure out which way I've been and which way I need to go, there I would need a homing device. The newest will be a short show in Chattanooga in September, I think it showed 3 days.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 AM

This was my first time at the Paducah show and was awestruck by all of it! This will be the last year of the "bubble-marshmallow" according to some of the vendors. They are going to build a hotel there and are remodeling some of the convention center to allow for more vendors there. I don't know how they will get all of the "bubble" vendors in there though! So many ideas and new gadgets to see and of course purchase. Just hope I can remember all of the wonderful ideas. I went with 2 other friends only one of which had been there before so she was our guide. She reserved a room already for next year. Just a word of caution-if you don't make a reservation you won't find a room within 100 miles of Paducah. We had several people tell us that the room prices were double or more than the usual rates.an example was a regular night the rooms were $79 but for the convention they were $190! And still rooms are packed! I agree about the organization of Hancocks. I think they organize by manufacturer not buy color or type of fabric so it was a bit confusing. Didn't buy much there. Bought lots at some of the vendors that were temporarily in some of the vacant storefronts. They had lots of beautiful and cheap fabric. The weather was beautiful and the dogwoods were gorgeous. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to return next year!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
We drove up on Thursday morning, spent all afternoon at the show, went back Friday and finally felt like we had seen it all a little after lunchtime. It is crowded, but not terrible. Spent the afternoon having a late lunch and going through the shops in town. The quilts are wonderful - an art form that we can really understand and appreciate. - It's always fun to see what the vendors have. Didn't see anything new, but I just love to watch Deb Tucker demo her rulers, so bought some of those. I generally am not interested in fabric at the show - no bargains to be had there, but love to see all the booths and the "real" quilts (meaning those that I could actually make) hanging in them. We also went down to the rotary club show - there is a woman in there with her indian batiks that I just love, so always like to get a few things from her. What I don't get is all the noise about Hancock's. I went in there last year and didn't think I would bother to go back - but I travelled with a friend this year, so we went. I just do not like that store - probably the way it is organized, and the way that all the sale stuff is just interspersed with everything else. The "back room" had batiks that I don't care too much about - but nothing else really of interest. I am going to skip it next year. On Saturday morning we went to the Museum, which is fantastic, and then back home. I am definitely going to make hotel arrangements as soon as I can for next year to hopefully get something in town. I'm lucky to live just 3 hours away, so an easy trip.
I completely agree with you about Hancock's. The flat folds in the back room (that are supposed to be such a great deal) were $5.99/yard. Now I realize that when fabrics are running$11.00 a yard, that is a deal, but it wasn't anything I would want for personal use. I found much better deals and better fabrics at Murray's (which was across from the National Quilt Museum).

I did find some fabrics I absolutely loved at the Shabby Fabrics booth in the bubble. While it wasn't a deal, I just had to have them (sometimes they call your name like that).

In general, loved the show - so many beautiful quilts!