Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mailing a quilt >

Mailing a quilt

Mailing a quilt

Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Jim

I have sent far more than 100 quilts, all over including Canada and UK. I always use USPS. Always send priority, with signature required. Some insurance is included but I always add more up to the value. put the quilt in a sealed plastic bag for safety against moisture. Tape the box securely and put an extra mailing slip Inside the plastic bag showing where it is going visibly. Put several labels on the outside of the box to its destination covered against the elements with clear tape and make sure your return address is eligible as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

If you send to other Countries and put the true value on it, the receiver will have to pay a lot of money to get the quilt. just saying for those who don't know.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I have had a mixed bag with the post office when it comes to delivery. The only problems I have had was a group of patterns I sold here on the board. The lady received it without three of the ten patterns! I refunded her money for them, but, I lodged a complaint with the postmaster general on line and there was an investigation. They never found my patterns. I am sure it was one of the gals who watched me fill the envelope at the small post office up here in the valley. I now go to the main post office to drop off my package. I use the on line postal service to pre-print my own postage and create my own label. It is a snap!

The other incident was a priority box sent to me from a gal in texas. It went to up state new York and back across the country to California and then back to Nevada before reaching me! Might I just add, almost a month to get here?

All that being said, I love the flat rate envelopes and boxes. No weighing, confirmation included and I tape the dickens out of it to insure the label isn't easily water logged or torn off. I also use a plastic bag inside with the address repeated on a slip of paper.
I have had no more trouble with lost or stolen items.
I like the idea of using a signed receipt, and I think I will do this next quilt I send next week. You are right, a signature doesn't lie.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-08-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 AM

I have an independent shipping store (like a UPS store). I would send it UPS ground. You have a tracking #, a confirmed delivery date and, if needed, you can have a return label printed out, paid for and enclosed in the box. If something happened (god forbid) to the quilt, you have the ability to file a claim. I have had this business for 26 years and I am amazed at the very few claims I have put in for lost packages. Also, lay a large bag on the bottom of the box to keep any moisture from soaking into the cardboard. I do not put fabric items inside plastic because they can't breath, just line the box. The other thing is to either go to an independent store or do it online. If you go to a large chain, you will pay up to 100% markup on the shipping charge. (Fed-x ground works the same way and also has the automatic $100 insurance). I am so sorry your quilt was lost.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I've sent quilts via USPS and UPS with good results, although my DH usually recommends UPS, we get tracking, insurance at both and knock on wood so far have not had a problem. Just be sure it's insured and you get tracking, so you can track the progress on the computer.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
Also, when insuring the quilt, be sure to list it as a "bedspread", not a "quilt". Thieves are everywhere, and, sadly, even within the postal service. Boxes listed as quilts are more likely to be stolen than bedspreads.
Or just label it "fabric." Which it is. Works for me. No problems yet.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:57 AM

I mailed a quilt to a lady friend in Texas from Wisconsin. I insured it for $750 (batik, one of a kind, king size). I was assured that since it was insured for over $200, a signature would be required and it would not be left at the door. Unfortunately, my friend found it on her doorstep, where the carrier delivered it. I have contacted my USPS and was told that either the carrier did not bother with a signature, or maybe signed it themselves. The supervisor at my PO is investigating for me. I would trust the USPS again, as they have responded to my inquiry. However, since she did get the quilt, no harm no foul, but the policy was violate somewhere.