Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash vs. life expectancy... >

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I learned a new acronym: SABLE (Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy).

It's a terrible question to ask, but... do you think you'll live long enough to use up your stash?

(For me... the answer is no; it's a deep fear of sitting around with nothing to do...)
wait, i just realized what you're saying.

I AM NEVER DYING. therefore, it's a moot point :mrgreen:
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by butterflywing

wait, i just realized what you're saying.

I AM NEVER DYING. therefore, it's a moot point :mrgreen:
Oh, no, I most definitely AM dying! :shock:
But not, I think anytime soon. :lol:

I'm just way to fidgety to sit still, without something to do. Can't stand the thought of it! That's why, personally, my stash will NEVER go away.

Somebody'll eventually chuck it all in the trash, as my darling daughter has no interest in sewing and even if she did, she hates my taste!

(The apple has fallen far from the tree and is still rolling away...)
Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Somebody'll eventually chuck it all in the trash, as my darling daughter has no interest in sewing and even if she did, she hates my taste!

(The apple has fallen far from the tree and is still rolling away...)
I'll take it!!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

Oh oh, confession time. I still have polyester from the 70's! And, no, I NEVER want to outlive my stash. It's presence comforts me.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:44 AM

The Quilters Last Will & Testament
Being of sound mind (a statement which does not bear close examination), I ______________________ do hereby record my last will and testament. Knowing that ____________________, my _________________ (husband, sister or friend) hasn't the least appreciation for, or for that matter, knowledge of my extensive fabric collection, which collection is suitably deposited in sundry places for safe keeping. Knowing also that _______________________ has already notified the local dumpster to pick up and dispose of the before-mentioned collection "willy-nilly" (the thought of which causes me a most severe case of hives). Therefore, I do will this collection and all other collections related to it, to my dear friend and fellow fabric preservationist, ____________________.
It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and obtaining clear proof that I did not manage, although goodness knows I tried, to take it with me, would come to my home post haste, before the dumpster, and search out my collection which is similarly stored at her own abode. That she should rescue said collection and stack it in my quilting studio, along with my sewing machines, frames, old buttons, lace, patterns, quilts, dolls and works in progress. After she/he has done this, she/he should purchase refreshments for my friends not yet departed, which friends are also her/his friends, and every last one shall be in that room and they shall hold a wake and say lovely and kind things about me until they run out and then they shall divide amongst themselves, by lot, my wonderful collection. I shall be hovering over that very spot until this is done. _____________________ shall then quit this spot and close the door, leaving trivialities to those who do not understand.
This is my wish on the matter.
Signed: __________________________ Date:

Notarized: ________________________ Date:
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 AM

That one is too funny. I was just thinking I should clean my sewing room up so as not to leave a big mess for my Children and Grandchildren to clean up and sort through. I may just have changed my mind.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM

I have very seriously had a talk with my daughter about my "estate"....I pointed to my craft rooms (yes, 2 of them) and told her "here's your inheritance.....enjoy"!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Considering I can't get her to even thread a sewing machine............................. she was shocked. :shock:
Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 AM

With the amount of fabric I have on hand now, if it all caved in on me while I am sewing, my family will have to put out a BOLO on me or put in a missing persons report. They will not find me until they clean out my sewing room. LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 AM

the vikings laid you out on a beautiful boat with all your personal belongings, set fire to the boat and pushed you out to sea, where they believed you would spend eternity surrounded by all your stuff in the next life.

i could be laid down on a cruise-ship with all my fabric, notions, machines, and what-all and also set out to sea. burning. the stuff i own would fill every room on the ship, and the flames would be seen around the world. people all over would believe (a) a meteorite had landed, or (b) armageddon had arrived (c) an enormous lava flow was eating up the world or (d) we should have paid more attention to global warming.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Bev

I have thought of this many times, and even talked it over with my DH. Since a lot of $$ are involved in not only my stash, but my tools, machines, and furniture, I think it best for him to simply put an ad in the paper saying "Stash for Quilters" and let people know that an entire quilting studio is for sale here. They'll come out of the woodwork. This is a quilting town, and the ladies all love a good sale. In the meantime, I just go my merry way, buying what I want when I can afford it, giving some away to those who need it, and quilting up a storm always. Life is good!!