Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to charge for making a quilt. >

How to charge for making a quilt.

How to charge for making a quilt.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 AM

nothing verbal - put it in writing. It sounds like she understands the time and work involved, but list everything. If you are selling a product, you are a business, so think like a business. Take a few minutes and think thru the whole project making a note of all materials used (thread, rotary blade, etc). Then you can create a work order listing fabric, notions and a per hour labor charge. You can estimate the hours needed, but be sure to add the word estimated. This person is supplying most of the fabric, so I wouldn't charge a deposit. If you are purchasing all the fabric, I take a non-refundable deposit covering most of that cost. This gives the person an incentive to really think about whether they want it or not before you put in the work. If you approach it from a business mindset rather than a friendship way, you should be fine. Or, do it as a gift and expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised at whatever they offer.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 AM

I had two string quilts, both approx 33x45. I was showing them off, not with ant intent to sell them. My sister was going to pick one for her soon to be GS. One person asked to buy one and get back with a price. I decided on $45. She said no thanks, maybe if it was less. Got me thinking of the worth. I buy them at yard sales but this one was new.everyone has strings of fabric and I cut up old sheets for the foundation. Even the binding was scraps. The point is the materials were cheap but not when I first bought them. I love to make string quilts, mindless sewing but they do take time. For donation or gift, that is ok but to sell, I would like to get paid for my time. Another note, making a quilt for someone and they know you are making it and expect it in a certain puts pressure on and takes the fun out of quilting IMHO.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Location: On the banks of the Ohio river in Almost Heaven West Virginia!!!!

You MUST pay yourself minimum wage for the work completed on the quilt!!! THEN you add the supplies that you use... I BELIEVE the $10/hour is a good and fair... You can keep track of ALL the time you put in... People nowadays do NOT appreciate what goes into a quilt... (last visit to Amish country... $1200-$1800 was the going price for bed quilt)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM

There are a few interesting articles online discussing this question, for example:

http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/01/pl...your-quilting/

http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2013...ll-quilts.html

http://huntersdesignstudio.com/ew-worth-it-2/

Last edited by Cathy77; 08-07-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I just got paid $35 for making a baby quilt, all my own fabrics, however, it was for my best friend's daughter who wanted me to make one to give to her new niece, Emma, who was born a little early on June 30. First of all, she's a dear friend and I've known Marti since she and my son were babies. I just made a simple 9-patch with alternating squares of fabric, and I used all the fabrics from my stash, a pretty fairy princess fabric in pinks/purples/aqua. Marti loved the other 2 I'd made her before several years ago, and was understanding when I told her it would take 2-3 weeks, although it took longer but she was OK with that. I just can't whip them out like I used to before my shoulder surgery. Anyway, since she is supplying some of the fabrics, i.e. her deceased FIL's shirts, I might charge $50-$75, but I would make that clear up front so there will be no surprises. A friend of mine made a T-shirt quilt for another friend's daughter, but when she heard the price, she complained and only paid her $75, which barely covered the cost of fabrics, especially since she requested penguin fabric, not easily found. Give her an amount up front and see where it goes from there. Unless they are crafters or quilters, people always fail to realize how much work and effort goes into making a quilt, besides the materials. I don't know if this helps or not, I'm just giving you some from my experiences.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
I'm in the process of completing the last of my Bonnie Hunter "Celtic Solstice" blocks. My quilt is the KS. My husband asked me what I'm going to do with it. I told him that I don't know, maybe use it on our bed or the bed in the guest room. He said, "too bad you don't sell some of them." I told him, "I don't know anyone with that much money!" LOL There is a tremendous amount of work into most of the quilts I make because I don't generally make the 'quick and easy' type quilts. I should have kept up with the hours on this one, just to see how long it takes, but I didn't.
I do as someone here suggested, I bought an electric clock & plugged it into a GFI power strip that I can push the button to turn off the clock. When I start I push the button to off then opposite when I stop, the clock does the time keeping for me. Of course you have to watch it when it gets to 12, I write that down & start over then add all the hours up at the end.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM

I can't thank you enough for these wonderful links. They have put everything into perspective for me! Both of these writers make excellent points (and I love their writing styles).

Originally Posted by Cathy77 View Post
Old 08-08-2014, 06:28 AM

OK here goes. Even with quotes in writing, I still got SCR..... She had 5 quilts that her Gran had made,even a couple that she had sat at her feet in Gran's quilting group. But one...in pieces that would need assembling and stitching to foundation. Mostly hand pieces dresden plates.
The deal. Turn all the squares into quilts she could give to sons and sibs. Okay 5 in pieces, but blocks done. okay #6 actually in parts. What a challenge. I needed to purchase sashing fabrics, batting and backings.
I quoted prices for each, the went on to finish them all in a month. Sent pictures as progress made and prices each time of finishe product.
So ready? Mailbox full, accepting no mew messages. Mailed at least 10 cards, explaining that I want my money. My expenses about $700.00. Paid out a little at a time yes but it is still quite a bit of cash.
NO responses. My last card was 6 months ago when I told her that I would be selling the lot (5) for $1500.00 and she could have back the pieces of Dresden squares.
So make sure you get a very hefty down payment, at least half. so you have something. Document each step and correspondence.
Good Luck.
I for one have learned my lesson. Never aain without 75% up front to cover my expenses. Peg
Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I'm really sorry you had to go to this length for the quilt you made, that really takes any fun there may have been right out of it all.
So far I've avoided this, BUT..... I make a written contract that states, in part, that "buyer agrees to pay $xxx for the quilt". We both sign the contract and they get a photocopy.

Before delivery I contact them to advise it's ready and will be delivered on such-and-such a date/time and will collect payment AT THAT TIME. If I don't go home with the check, the quilt comes home with me!

IF I had been unable to contact the buyer at that time, after 2 calls and written contact which had to be signed for, if that letter was not delivered, then I'd consider the quilt to be mine to sell or keep. If I have all the written paperwork and copies of attempts to contact, then I feel like my butt is covered if dispute arises.

Then again, I not only try to protect myself, but the buyer as well, because I have also signed the contract that stated the price and expected date of completion.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by pegquilter8 View Post
OK here goes. Even with quotes in writing, I still got SCR..... She had 5 quilts that her Gran had made,even a couple that she had sat at her feet in Gran's quilting group. But one...in pieces that would need assembling and stitching to foundation. Mostly hand pieces dresden plates.
The deal. Turn all the squares into quilts she could give to sons and sibs. Okay 5 in pieces, but blocks done. okay #6 actually in parts. What a challenge. I needed to purchase sashing fabrics, batting and backings.
I quoted prices for each, the went on to finish them all in a month. Sent pictures as progress made and prices each time of finishe product.
So ready? Mailbox full, accepting no mew messages. Mailed at least 10 cards, explaining that I want my money. My expenses about $700.00. Paid out a little at a time yes but it is still quite a bit of cash.
NO responses. My last card was 6 months ago when I told her that I would be selling the lot (5) for $1500.00 and she could have back the pieces of Dresden squares.
So make sure you get a very hefty down payment, at least half. so you have something. Document each step and correspondence.
Good Luck.
I for one have learned my lesson. Never aain without 75% up front to cover my expenses. Peg