Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going to be in Grand Rapids, MI >

Going to be in Grand Rapids, MI

Going to be in Grand Rapids, MI

Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Going to be in Grand Rapids, MI

I will be in Grand Rapids in September. Does anyone know the names of fabric stores, quilt shops or other fun things to see? Also, I will be working in midtown and am looking for hotel suggestions either by the airport or midtown. Thank you for your help!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

This is the most inclusive list of quilt/fabric shops that I know of for Michigan:
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...-michigan.html
Fields Fabrics on 44th is not too far from the airport.
Also check under Comstock Park, a northern suburb of Grand Rapids.

On this site, there are links to hotels, restaurants, and attractions.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html
I can't give you any recommendations about hotels because when I lived in Michigan, my trips into Grand Rapids were day trips. Other than quilting , I don't know what your interests are, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Frederik Meijer Gardens, the tour of the Meyer May House designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the museums, and John Ball Park Zoo.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:58 AM

I'm from GR, and we have several places you might want to check out. First, my favorite...home away from home is the Queen Bee Quilt Shoppe in Cutlerville, a suburb of GR. It is a homey, friendly shop, with fabric, patterns, hand embroidery, etc. and is filled with samples and examples of the patterns. Tell them Mary sent you. They'll know who I am! Heres a link to their shop. They just moved so if you google their shop the info on the search page gives the old address. Go to this following link and it has the new address listed. They're actually on the same street, just a .2 mile north of their old shop, on the same side of the road.).
http://www.queenbeequiltshoppe.com
Also, be sure to stop by at the Attic Window in the northwest part of town. They have a good selection of fabric, and friendly staff. Don't miss the Smith Owen Sewing Center, that is on the northeast side, and they offer a unique selection of fabric. There are four Fields Fabrics in the area. (I don't know if CA has They have a huge collection of fabrics, and great sales. If you're interested in driving toward Lake Michigan, be sure to stop in Holland Pressing Matters. You can definitely fill your days with fabric fun! Enjoy! GR is a great city with many activities going on all year!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM

I like Field's Fabrics so would check that out. If you want to travel toward the east a bit in East Lansing Country Stitches is a wonderful quilt shop. Large selection of fabrics, great ideas, lots and lots of batik and a great sale room.

My family lives in Kalamazoo which is south of Grand Rapids so always make those two on my must go to when I'm in that area. I will have to stop and see they ones Grandma Mary suggested when I'm in GR.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Check out the Amway Grand for hotel, last time I stayed there we were amazed that it was so cheep for the nice accomocations.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:11 PM

If you get the chance check out Meijer Garden and Sculpture park. I think it is one of Michigans best kept secrets. Everything about it is wonderful. If you go make sure you visit the children's garden, it is great no matter your age.