Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm just not creative >

I'm just not creative

I'm just not creative

Old 09-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Default I'm just not creative

Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Just because your sister had a different idea doesn't mean its better or would look better. Have more confidence in yourself and do things your way. We all look at things differently and have different talents. Don't ever let anyone else steel your thunder, do it your way and make yourself happy. She can make her own.

By the way, your creativity is orginal because its yours. If you made hers, it wouldn't be orginal to you.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I quilt because I enjoy it. My quilts will never be great masterpieces but it doesn't bother me. I used to compare myself to others but not any more.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:05 PM

If this really bothers you, I would avoid asking for her advice in the future. Talk to someone at a LQS so you get "professional" advice. You may be able to still do that with this quilt. It sounds as though you have some issues with your sisters that you haven't dealt with. You are perfect the way you are. You are magnificent in every way. I am sure if you had made the quilt in the way you had originally intended it would have been beautiful. Quit worrying about what other people think or what they may have done better. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy Quilting!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:13 PM

I also struggle with original ideas. So I have become content to find patterns and fabrics that i see in magazines or online and make something like those. If I make the quilt it is 'mine', and as long as I am not selling it or claim credit for the design, what's the big deal? As I have gotten more quilts under my belt I am finding it easier to modify something that inspires me to make it a little more original. Relax and just try to enjoy whatever you are making. Those sparks may come over time.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 PM

I know you are sad or upset but it made me chuckle. It must be your older sister. Is it an older sister? I'm the older sister and my sisters (sadly one died) would always say that they can't do anything as well as I do it. Wasn't true, still isn't true.They thought and still think it is true. If asked my opinion, especially if my sister asks, I give a 100% honest answer. If they would say "Do you like this?". If they made it, even if it was ugly, I would say something positive and nice. You can always say something nice. If they ask "What would you do differently with this?" I would give options thinking they wanted options. Your sister may have only given a different opinion because she thought you wanted a different opinion. I never ask opinions when I am going to make something. I have it in my head what I'm doing and sadly I don't care what anyone else thinks. They aren't making it. If they want a quilt a different way, if they need a machine to do it they can borrow one of mine but they can go ahead and make it themselves.

Your sister probably thought she was being kind offering suggestions but next time do like me and don't ask because it doesn't matter what they think.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Well, how many quilts have you made? Sometimes it takes a while to get that creativity going. I paint, but it took a whole lot of lessons to do it. But, It's fun. So just keep going. You'll be shocked at what you can do.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Everyone is creative, let's get that straight first. For some it just comes easier than it does for others. One trick is to relax and let it flow, no stress, no pressure. Find a comfortable seat, enjoy a relaxing beverage, maybe a piece of chocolate (or two), jot down all your ideas...good, bad, and otherwise...and don't rate them in any way as you write/sketch. Any one of them can trigger a new thought and send you off to a whole new idea that turns out stunningly.

There are millions of ways to put fabrics together into a quilt. Your sister suggested just one of them. That leaves you all the others to play around with until your "Aha!" moment strikes...and it will. I promise.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:35 PM

Do you use a design wall? I am part of a group of 5 quilters. One woman is so creative and never uses a pattern. Her quilts are breathtaking. I bought a panel of wolves, three scenes, and had no idea what to do with them. I started buying material, two ladies gave me fabric they thought would work. I really wanted to do some thread painting, tried on a practice piece and had to admit that it wasn't working for me, just not skilled enough. So I accepted my skill level and moved on. I used my design wall and just kept adding fabric and making simple blocks. I am so proud of how it all came together and my brother loved it. It was a challenge but so worth it. Do what pleases you, for your enjoyment, and keep learning. I do it to renew my sole, not to seek approval from anyone else. Stay strong!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Aww you need a great big hug! Don't ever let it get you down for not dong "good enough" Let your work be yours and be happy that you can do it. I bet, in time, your ideas will come and they will be admired by many. I know somewhat how you feel for I have an older sister that says she is a perfectionist and she does do some beautiful quilts and yet I probably enjoy my quilting more than she does. We all would love to have that perfect look but sometimes it takes more work for some of us to get to that point. know that if you stick with it you will only get more creative and find pleasure in what you do. Keep looking for ideas and you may be surprised what you come up with. HUGS

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Tell me what you think about this. I've been thinking about doing a Kaffe Fassett-style brightly coloured quilt. I haven't finalised a design yet but have been busy cutting out squares in lots of possible fabrics. This afternoon I was showing my very creative sister the squares and my fairly simple ideas as to what I might do. She immediately made a suggestion that would make the whole thing much more exciting. Instead of feeling happy and inspired, ever since I've just wanted to cry because it brought it home that I simply don't have that extra creative insight that comes so easily to her. What do you do if you desperately want to have original creativity - but it's just not there? I'm a workaday quilter who can turn out a competent quilt if I follow a pattern and it's not too difficult, but no more than that. I yearn to do original, self-expressive work, but the ideas are just not there.
My excitement about my quilt has gone. If I use my sister's idea, it won't feel like my original idea any more, and if I dont, i'll know it could have been better. I feel ridiculous for reacting so strongly, but also very miserable.