Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it? >

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:16 PM

Default ever start an expensive project but absolutely hate working on it?

My sister saw and fell in love with a popular pattern she saw on the net somewhere, and as she has never expressed such a strong reaction to anything else I decided to buy the pattern and the required fabrics and make it for her as a Christmas gift...

...last year.

As soon as I started it I hated it. I found the pattern hard to follow, it turns out the process of iron on applique annoys me endlessly and it requires a ton of room to spread out and put together.

I spent a load of money on the patterns, embellishments and fabric. I can't justify not finishing it from that perspective. Plus, she really loved it.

I just keep procrastinating bringing it out again, because I *really* don't want to make it.

Sigh.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-27-2014 at 03:00 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-26-2014, 06:40 PM

Yes I did!!! The way I handled it was to break the process down to sections and reward myself with something I wanted to do after I finished each section. If I kept the work on the nasty to about 1-2 hours, I got to do what I wanted for an additional 1-2 hours. Honestly, I adore fusible applique...wish I could do that part for you!!! The quilt in my avatar has 1 seam, everything else is fused down then quilted to death!! Loved making it, but it was tedious to draw all the hundreds of pieces and then cut them out, but in little bites, it was doable!!

Last edited by Farm Quilter; 10-26-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:44 PM

It is hard to work on something you don't like, but I say suck it up and get it done ASAP and give it to her! If you don't it is just going to keep bugging you. (Do you have a friend that would finish it for you???) Then reward yourself with one that you love for yourself!!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Yes! I took a class on how to make this pattern, paid for that, the pattern, and a few supplies. I did have the fabric, but now it's all in a bin. I just do not enjoy this one. Hopefully one day I will get it out and finish it.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Try to work on it with another quilter. That would keep you motivated when sewing with others. I know it works for me when I get frustrated.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 PM

Send me a PM; I'll give it a go. We live in the same area,so wouldn't be hard to do?
Old 10-27-2014, 01:00 AM

Been there! I wanted to make a quilt for DSIL using a new pattern I fell in love with. I took it to the drop-in class for help and the tutor there didn't interpret the pattern correctly so I ended up with a wonky finished top (long and narrow). I gritted my teeth my teeth and hired the LQS Gammill to quilt it, thinking I'd then do some stars to complement the pattern......................

Anyway - he loved it so I am glad I finished it (I still hate it!). The pleasure I got from him and then DGS who 'borrowed' it and never gave it back made it worthwhile.

As others have suggested, devote a specific amount of time to it - say 2 hours on a Thursday or Saturday morning or whatever and stick to it.

That said, if anyone had offered to finish it for me, my feet wouldn't have touched the ground making my way over
Old 10-27-2014, 02:33 AM

I can relate. In my excitement of buying a new machine ladt November, I signed up for the Stitchers Garden BOM and while My intentions were good, committing to a monthly class is a challenge. The dealer is an hours' drive each way, spending my Saturday traveling is not my idea of fun. And I frankly have mentally dropped out. I start block 4 (April) when I get around to it. LOL!

My dealer graciously bagged up the remainder of the monthly blocks along with the required sewing machine feet, etc and I picked it up. Yes, rumor has it this machine technique filled BOM is the "most expensive" quilt one will ever make. Imagine buying a new machine foot per block/technique! Just glad that Janome accessories are reasonably priced in comparison to some other machine brands. I will finish this tho. I want to learn the feet and technique.

Sandy
Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 AM

Been there! I have made some that I absolutely can't stand. Either they aren't in my colors or the pattern is just too time comsuming. It is hard to push on thru and get them done. But I haven't had a bad response to a quilt from the recipients. They all say they love them.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 AM

Yes, their new pattern names ....UFO