Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gravies >

Gravies

Gravies

Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Gravies

I always seem to not make a very good gravy. I am making a pot roast and want to use the juices
from it. How do I make it good with out failing? I have a little beef broth left over after putting some
in with the meat and vegs.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I can only say how I do it. I take my meat juices and skim the surface to remove any fat. I put the meat juices in a saucepan and save about 1/2 a cup out in a separate dish. If the 1/2 cup is still hot I add an ice cube to cool it. I mix about 1 tbsp. flour with 1 tbsp. corn starch together with salt and pepper. Make sure all the lumps are out of the dry mixture and whisk it into the cool meat juices. (The amount of flour/corn starch will vary depending on how much gravy you are making.)
Heat up the meat juices in the saucepan and whisk in the 1/2 cup mixture, stirring until it thickens.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM

easiest way, make a paste out of butter and flour, make sure there are no lumps, stir it into the simmering juices, let it cook over low heat a few minutes to get the raw flour taste cooked out of it. That's it.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:55 PM

I do it pretty much like Tartan. Be sure to add your flour and/or corn starch to cool liquid. You get wicked lumps if you dump it in hot liquid. Personal experience speaking here.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM

I do pretty much like Tartan except I stir my flour into cold water and make a paste,) its easier to get the lumps out that way ), then I thin it down a bit with cold water and stir it into the simmering broth and cook a few minutes until it thickens. My son love it so much, he always said he believed he could just drink it.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 PM

For real oomph in beef gravy, I add a little beef boullion granules, especially if there is not much meat juice.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:42 AM

When I cook a pot roast, I cook it in an electric frying pan. I put in a chub of butter (1/4 lb), melt it and add the roast, brown on both sides real well. The butter is, at this point, turning a nice brown. I add Swanson's low salt beef broth, maybe a couple of cans, put the roast on low and let it cook all day. Then I mix my cornstarch and water, add that to the pot roast, bring the juice to a boil (otherwise you have a lousy tasting gravy) and stir til thickened. Then put the roast back in and let it do its thing and at this point you can add your potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and kick back and relax. Dinner will be done and so will the gravy. That's the way I have made it for over 54 years. Good one pot meal. In the summer when it is hot outside, I cook it on the table on the patio, smells up the whole neighborhood and it smells sooooo good! But now, you can smell up the house - we are right at this moment in the throes of our first Minnesota snow storm. Yucchhhhhh! Think I'll fix me a nice pot roast. Innard-warmer so to speak. Edie
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 AM

Edie...yum, yum. I like working with cornstarch, no lumps...for me anyway..
Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM

I fit is a roast of some sort I take out all but 2 T of fat, put itt on top of the stove and sprinkle about 3 T of flour and let boil for a minute or two scraping up the bits on the bottom. I then add some wine, broth and seasonings and cook for another couple of minutes. Yum!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:02 AM

For any kind of gravey I put the flour into a small jar on top of the cold water and SHAKE! No lumps and slowly add to hot broth.