Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Found some interesting things windows shopping today - Image heavy >

Found some interesting things windows shopping today - Image heavy

Found some interesting things windows shopping today - Image heavy

Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Found some interesting things windows shopping today - Image heavy

With no space left and the budget decimated by the summer's events, we left most things there today.

First machine I saw was a Singer 175-61 - ISMACS says this about it:
"For sewing on two or four hole flat buttons. Equipped for snap fasteners. Speed 1000 RPM."

I had guessed that it had something to do with buttons or snap fasteners when I found a few under the belt shroud. I found it interesting that this machine didn't have a handwheel at all and the clutch is next to the pulley on the machine, not on the motor. Of course, I also loved the "foot" pedals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505589[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505592[/ATTACH]

Then we found a Raymond I have to send the photos of to a friend. This one has great decal on the arm. It's not often I see one here that has bright colors not to mention all of its parts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505590[/ATTACH]

The last one was the most interesting. Here's what ISMACS has to say about a Singer 113W110(?):
"Industrial". 135x7 needle (1901)"

Yes. I'd believe that! The first thing I thought was "Singer LongArm!" Of course with what that thing would weigh, it would be easier to move a Longarm frame under it than move the machine! I couldn't move the slide plates, but it looked like the bobbin and hook would be to the right on this one and fully encased from the bottom so possibly a horizontal as well. There went my Longarm dreams. Anyone have any ideas what it would be used for? I'm thinking something that couldn't be folded. How about that handwheel in the middle of the machine? There's also one in the usual place too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505591[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505593[/ATTACH]

And here's what I did come home with today (completely boring compared to the other "finds"):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505594[/ATTACH]

I won't lie, I'm tempted by both of the Singers but know that I have no space for things of that size. How cool would it look with that mounted behind Lucey though!?!? Would need to be an incredibly strong shelf or I could see it peeling the drywall right off the studs.
Attached Thumbnails img_3407.jpg   img_3409.jpg   img_3410.jpg   img_3411.jpg   img_3408.jpg  

img_3413.jpg   img_3414.jpg  

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 01-10-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 PM

Found some information on the 113W110 - http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManu..._W116_W120.pdf
2 bobbin cases for 2 hooks.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:53 PM

Wow, Great day for looking and shopping. My antiquing trips are never that interesting. What were the asking prices on the Raymond and Singer Industraials?

Jon
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 PM

Tammi,

I'll bet that "long arm" Singer would be an absolute "beast" to pick up (then some more)! Good deal on the SM Oil! I saw a couple of machines listed on ebay that I would buy, if I were (1) not broke) and (2) had room. There were both a 15-91 and a 201-2 listed together -- starting bid was $2.25! PLUS the machines are in Deltona FL which isn't a long way from us. Let's put it this way, if I were going to buy them, I sure wouldn't be paying shipping! But, I don't need either one of them, I don't have room, and I really can't afford them -- because neither one has a foot pedal or cords. LOL!

Jeanette
Old 01-11-2015, 09:09 AM

*** Love the Shoe Shaped Pedals on the 1st one.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Wow, Great day for looking and shopping. My antiquing trips are never that interesting. What were the asking prices on the Raymond and Singer Industraials?
Ours are almost never that interesting either. Believe it or not, we only managed one of the two shops we were planning on getting to! This one usually has the most sewing machine stuff though. The Raymond was $225, the Singer Long Arm was $120 (or less than a buck a pound!) and the 175 was $375 and 25% off that. By far, I think the best deal would be the 175 because it looked whole other than the belt.

I'm surprised no one asked about the one hiding in the first picture that I didn't mention.

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Tammi,

I'll bet that "long arm" Singer would be an absolute "beast" to pick up (then some more)! Good deal on the SM Oil! I saw a couple of machines listed on ebay that I would buy, if I were (1) not broke) and (2) had room. There were both a 15-91 and a 201-2 listed together -- starting bid was $2.25! PLUS the machines are in Deltona FL which isn't a long way from us. Let's put it this way, if I were going to buy them, I sure wouldn't be paying shipping! But, I don't need either one of them, I don't have room, and I really can't afford them -- because neither one has a foot pedal or cords. LOL!

Jeanette
DH said he tried - not with everything he had - because it wasn't ours but he could barely budge it. We were hoping to get a better angle to shoot the model number because neither of us could read it where it was. As it was, I squirmed the phone in there and he told me while standing above and to the side when it was in the right area to get the model #. He figures easily 150lbs and that the photo doesn't give perspective but that the arm looked to be about 4ft long. I'll never complain about pushing my svelte light Lucey at her 41lbs around again!

Pedals and cords don't cost much and I usually count on replacing the cords at the very least so to me, as long as the buy in is good, I don't worry about those two parts too much.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** Love the Shoe Shaped Pedals on the 1st one.
Those are seducing me too! I'd love to go get that machine but I'd have to give up my cutting table if I did.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 AM

The first and third ones are, for me, the most interesting. The first one is in such great condition! Love the pedals and the thread tension assemblies on the top -- like the plugs coming out of Frankenstein's neck. So cool.

I assume that the third has a hand wheel in the center of the arm for ergonomics: the right wheel is so far from the user. I'm surprised neither has a hand crank attachments (although if motorized, I can understand why not -- it's probably detachable). I'm not sure what such a machine would be used for except perhaps frame sewing such as long arm quilting. Like you, I wouldn't want to try to move it.

Thanks for the pictures -- very interesting stuff.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:10 PM

KRA - truth be known, if I was to go back for one - it would be the first one. The whole table is there, the spool stand everything. I just don't know that I have the space, though DH said it would probably be best if I got it rather than someone who knows less about them because I'm less likely to kill myself trying to get it running. I feel bad for it too. The part sitting in front if it belongs to it but could easily be lost. The pedal chains are joined and shouldn't be... I'm sure some newbs would have nightmares about threading the Frankenstein bolts.. I'd finally get my dedicated Chainstitch machine too this way...

The third one - the manual shows the balance wheel at the back as having stitch length built into it. There's a notch in the hub that shows the number the stitch length is set to. I saw no mention in the manual about the handwheel half way down the arm. DH thought maybe it was the same as the back but within a reasonable distance, but then why have the one at the back?

I didn't get far enough to the back to see if there was a belt groove on the third one but I bet it's a chore to treadle! It's belt driven inside though.

The first one has a motor below the table but I have no idea what sort of table the 3rd one was on. The manual for the 113W110 says that it was for "2 line lock-stitching in balloons, aircraft work, for sewing celluloid into automobile curtains and for stitching articles of large and awkward sizes. It has an extra long arm and is equipped with a puller feed in addition to a drop feed and will sew up to 6 thicknesses of No. 8 Duck."
Old 01-11-2015, 02:59 PM

AA, just looking at the machines from pictures, I have a similar reaction: the first one would be really hard for me to resist. Everything about it: size, condition, features -- and you'd have a machine rarely found in a home studio. Just looking at it would be enough for me to buy it, price willing.

The third would be more intriguing but in a different way. "...2 line lock-stitching in balloons, aircraft work, for sewing celluloid into automobile curtains and for stitching articles of large and awkward sizes. It has an extra long arm and is equipped with a puller feed in addition to a drop feed and will sew up to 6 thicknesses of No. 8 Duck..." is industrial in the sense of the late years of the Industrial Revolution. It would be hard to come up with relevant uses similar to those for which it was designed, but lots of clothing requires 2-line lockstitch. And you are ArchaicArcane, after all.

As for the 2 wheels on the third machine, is it possible it was operated by 2 workers, especially considering the size of what went under the feet (balloons!) and the size of the table it must have occupied?

What a great heritage we're inheriting!