Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--1/16-1/19/15 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--1/16-1/19/15

Virtual Quilting Weekend--1/16-1/19/15

Old 01-17-2015, 04:48 AM

I have to work today until about 2 pm but it's supposed to snow here Sunday & Monday so I'll be indoors with you all. I need to make a baby boy quilt before March due date and have two throw size to sandwich and FMQ. I'm in.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 AM

Penny, I would love to see your project, the colors sound great and I have always wanted to do an irsh chain.
Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
A couple of days ago I started a scrappy Irish chain from mens shirts and a few homespun to add some interest. Found a light golden camel color fabric for the light part. This will be for a man so I'm going with dark fabrics for the large squares. I'm in the preparation stage and still have lots of starching and cutting to do. Don't think I'll be doing much sewing. I wait for the starch to dry before I iron and cut.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 AM

I will be working on my quilting all weekend. I have an applique tulip basket block to finish for my local guilds quilt show and have to finish putting together Bonnie Hunter's Illusions Mystery Quilt.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:00 AM

Oh, goodie! I missed the last few VQWs you had. I had major surgery the week before Thanksgiving, so have been out of the loop. I have been itching to do some quilting. I made the MSQC binding tool star and am working on adding piano key borders to make it rectangular. I haven't mitered in ages, so I need to do some unsewing and restitching. Hope to post pics of it later.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 AM

I'm in. Hand quilting on one quilt (different shades of aqua and piecing a burgundy, pink and gray block in a block.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:38 AM

Thanks to the push of VQW, I got a lot done on my baby quilt last night. I have to go to a funeral this morning so won't be back at it until late this afternoon, but hope to finish it today and get going on another WIP. Have a productive day, everyone!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 AM

I'm in. I have a quilt on the longarm need to finish and several baby quilts cut out for project linus. The ladies are coming over on Monday to sew, so hopefully will get some things done that day also.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I jumped in yesterday by printing out the tutorial on the Boxy Stars as shown a couple days ago. Began by cutting strips and then WHAM*** slashed my finger with the rotary cutter. Got that patched up and finished cutting strips. Then slowly cut pieces for a few blocks. By last night I had six 1/4-blocks stitched and pressed and six 1/4-blocks placed for piecing. After these last two weeks of cold and rain, it will be nice to see sunshine coming through my windows.
OMG...(((Gail))) How's your finger today? It seem that you, "took one for the quilters." I hope that you're on the mend.

I've continued working on my Lover's knot quilt. I've been sewing the 6.5" squares, pressing and squaring them up. I've then been sewing four of those squares together to make a large, 12.5" square, then squaring that up. Then, I've started sewing those big blocks together into rows of 5, or 6...I haven't decided the final size of the quilt yet. Right now I have 6/row, but I may take a block off of each row. I plan to tie the quilt, but I may try my hand at hand-quilting it with a big stitch. I'm about 1/3 of the way done with the quilt top.

The look of my quilt is very, "down home," and scrappy. Some of the fabrics I'm using are from the 1920s. I wanted to do the whole thing with '20s fabrics, but I didn't have enough, so I just looked for the ugliest, most appropriate fabrics I could find. The quilt will be for a cabin, so the funkier, the better. I haven't decided on a backing yet...maybe a plaid.

I'll try to get some pix over to the thread today. I'm excited to see what everyone else is doing!

~ Cindy
Old 01-17-2015, 08:09 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
I'm working on my latest hexie creation, so I definitely won't get it finished this weekend but I thought I'd share my progress so far. I started it at the end of November and have done a little on it most days since I started.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506503[/ATTACH]

This is my second hexagon project and both of them have been purple! Haha, I obviously have a thing for purple!

I'm also working on another EPP project, but as I will hopefully be entering it into a competition, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post pictures of it, so that one will have to wait until another time!

I hope everyone gets to do at least a little bit of quilting this weekend :-)
Swirling in purple...fun!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM

I didn't see this post yesterday but I'm definitely in! Managed to get my Grand Illusion pin basted on a friend's basement floor yesterday .... it's taking it's place in line to get quilted And last evening I worked on the machine quilting of my 2013 Aurifil thread BOM quilt. When I get home from my walking group this morning I will be spending the afternoon in the sewing room again.
This is the Aurifil top that I'm working on, I know it's posted at some point on the site already when I finished the blocks. [ATTACH=CONFIG]506526[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails aurifil-2013-finished-top001-small-.jpg