Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
King Size Blooming Nine Patch >

King Size Blooming Nine Patch

King Size Blooming Nine Patch

Old 01-18-2015, 03:44 AM

Default King Size Blooming Nine Patch

My daughter and her husband have picked out the Blooming Nine Patch for their king bed. I have made one before but the pattern only goes to 72x82. I do not want to add borders or increase the width of the strips. Do you think by increasing the number of colors from 8 to 12 I can get the length to 110 inches? After speaking with the long arm quilter the plan is to make the length be 110 and my daughter will have to place the quilt on the bed sideways. She needs 110 inches for the quilt to come to the bed rails, but the quilter says her longarm width maximum is 100 inches. And daughter is perfectly fine with that. The plan is for us to use gray/silver in the center, then a couple of rows with silver/teal mix and finish with the last rows graduating from light teal to dark teal in an ombre effect. Wish me luck. I won't be starting until the weather turns a little warmer as I plan to lay out the blocks on tarp/batting in the garage since I can't sew the rows together until all the blocks are cut and positioned.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

the colors sound terrific
Old 01-18-2015, 04:35 AM

Ambitious project. I wish you luck. I made one in a regular queen size, and I know how cumbersome it can become. Please make sure to post a picture when it's finished. The colors sound awesome. A bed skirt should be able to take up the slack that you can't add to the quilt, perhaps in a dual teal and silver pattern.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:14 AM

I've made a smaller blooming nine patch - they are indeed fun. Here's a blog where she increased the size to king - you might find it of interest! http://sewthisismyblog.blogspot.com/...ine-patch.html
Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 AM

If you do a Yahoo or Google search for Blooming 9 Patch Quilt Images, you will see all kind of wonderful ways to help you increase to the size you want. I never dreamed there were so many ways to combine the colors.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:06 AM

Many larger versions include a row of squares as part of the rounds, like this one:

Also, what if you increase the size of your 9 patch blocks (and alternate squares)? Instead of a 3 inch 9 patch, make 6 inch 9 patch units. That would dramatically increase the quilt size. Just my humble opinion - - - -

Jane
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

You really need to draft out the number of blocks required and think that if you enlarged the 9 patch, how many less blocks you will have to make. Sometimes a larger block will look better on a larger bed.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You really need to draft out the number of blocks required and think that if you enlarged the 9 patch, how many less blocks you will have to make. Sometimes a larger block will look better on a larger bed.
Yes, in some cases ...... Although part of the beauty of the B9P is the way the colours/designs/fabrics meld together in the design. Some of that could go amiss, with larger pieces of fabrics.

GiGiGray ... B9P is basically a grid type pattern. So no reason why you could not enlarge to whatever finished size you want. Just graph it out, and count the blocks you will need for each layer. There's no reason why some of the fabrics could not be reused in later rounds. No doubt the challenge for any B9P is to find the right go-togethers for the winning combo. Good Luck!