Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RV Quilting >

RV Quilting

RV Quilting

Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM

I'm with most of the other RV'ers. It's just dh and I and we find we have more than ample space. I do take a pressing board that is somewhere around 15x15", ample enough for most work and easily stored. Like memepat, I set up outside at the picnic table because it is much sturdier than the little fold down table we have with us. And like babies, it draws folks to start up conversations.

As to where I store my machine-when not physically on the road, it sits under the bench seat out of my carry case. When we do hit the hard top, I put it into the protective travel case and it goes under the bed or in the truck.

Have fun and safe travels.

Best,
deb in Maine
Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM

I'm so glad you brought this up again(to lazy to do a search..lol)..my hubby and I just bought a RV a few months ago and we are starting to plan our trips. The suggestions are great. What type of "small" sewing machine would you suggest?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 PM

AS you can see from my avatar - we have a large fifth wheel. We have been fulltimers since 2003. I took up quilting on the road and have made many quilts - queen size too! We have a large counter that fits my large cutting board and my small iron board. Cutting board is stored under the mattress along with the large rulers.
I keep my sewing machine up usually, since we don't eat at the table. Otherwise, it goes under the table which is over the wheels and I don't have any issues. I do make sure I bring in my BabyLoc a few times a year to certified establishments for a good cleaning and checking it out. I use it a lot and love it.
I have three quilts that need the binding hand sewn - but I leave these till when we are moving around. I use the activity buildings and there is always someone who sits and talks. I am even on block swaps - the boomerangs here on QB!! The park we are in now even has a sewing room set up!! Most campground laundry's have full size ironing boards and sometimes irons. Look around and ask if you need.
PM me if you have any questions. Organization is key in RV living - and that includes our hobbies~
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM

We had a 32" 5th wheel. I put my cutting mat under the sofa or under the mattress, stores scissors, thread, sewing supplies in a plastic tub with lid and handle. Stored sewing machine under my hanging clothes in the closet. I found a small table - similar to a TV tray that folded and fit either under the sofa.......or flat beside or behind it. I also found a portable steam iron that folded down. I did buy a small ironing board, but you wouldn't need one if you had a pressing place, ie. thick towel, etc. Enjoy.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:35 PM

We have a 29 foot travel trailer. I can't wait for summer and try to do some quilting when we take it out. I am so envious of those who can do RV'ing full time.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM

I have traveled in a motor home for the past 4 winters. I take my little sewing machine, and try to precut a quilt before I leave home, and put it, and some additional fabric (as much as I can fit--really) into a "project box". I try to pick a pattern that has larger pieces, and bring along extra fabric, in case I screw up! Even on the road, I still need some days where I am focused on a project..you can always get fabric at little shops on the road, but it does help to have a project cut out and ready. Good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Here is a picture of my RV sewing room.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM

I just finished 3 large quilts for Christmas gifts. Depending on the task to be accomplished, I would place my machine on the dining booth table, go to the clubhouse and use large folding tables, or cover the picnic table and sew outside. Totes work fine for projects, and I store my cutting mat and rulers under the cushions of the the dining booth where they stay nice and flat until ready for use. Have a great time and be sure to visit new quilt shops and quilt shows in your travels!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 PM

Last summer I was so excited to finally have a small Janome to sew on & carefully cut out all my fabric for my project & gathered everything someone posted here on the board that they take RVing. We left out for our 7 days of vacation, I got everything out on the 4th day and my machine would NOT sew correctly everything was a tangled mess. Needless to say I gave up packed it all back away. the day before we left for home it dawned on me to change out the needle! DUH! Actually still not sure if that is the problem as I haven't touched the machine since. I'm still to upset with the machine or myself which ever is the problem.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by littlelambseativy View Post
Thanks Pam! Right now it's just vacations, and trips to see our kids. I love taking my sewing machine on trips. But I'm also happy to be ironing and cutting fabric in vacation homes. Do I need to store my machine at a certain place while driving? I have no idea how bumpy the travel is.
What type of rig do you have? A Motorhome won't have too much vibration anyplace. If you have a travel trailer like I do, the smoothest spot is generally near the hitch or right above the wheels. If you have a fancy electronic machine, make sure you have a surge protector. Campground power is sometimes messy. I generally just take my little Featherweight since I really have only pieced on trips so far. They're tough and I don't worry much about it. I have a tool box bag from the hardware I store it in so it doesn't slide around.

i have taken a handcrank machine for longer non-electric trips, but I am not as efficient with it. Kind of fun though.

Pam