Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
inherited fabrics >

inherited fabrics

inherited fabrics

Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM

Default inherited fabrics

When my mother, a lifelong quilter and seamstress, passed in '08, she left her quilting stash to me (my sis, an accomplished seamstress, received the dress goods). I have used bits and pieces from that stash in the years since, but have never had the heart to really sort through it. I did so over this long weekend, along with my sis, via face time. We laughed, and cried, and had a great time remembering what an amazing woman our Mother was.

Along with some really spectacular fabrics, and amazing examples of EPP (who knew?) I found the attached fabrics. They were numbered 1 - 8, with a 5/8 bit marked 'binding'.

While a number of her unfinished projects were with the pattern she was using, I have no idea what she intended with this group of fabrics. There are 8 different fabrics, measuring from 5/8 to 4 yards. There is a total of 15 1/4 yards of fabric.

I would welcome any thoughts as to what to do with this - I want to make something that will be a tangible memory of Mom, but I am at a loss as to where to start.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM

They are so lovely, anything you make with them will be beautiful.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM

What nice memories. Is there enough fabric for a Trip Around the World?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Administrator

they seem to be in graduating shades and values.
a log cabin or french braid would be stunning.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM

I am so glad you had a wonderful time with your sister........ It is lovely when we remember with tears and smiles the special people in our lives.... Whether still with us or passed.

hugs

Caroline
Old 02-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Love the watercolor fabrics on the top row. I know I have the center one and I think the pastel on the right. She had great taste in fabrics since we bought the same ones. Enjoy !
Old 02-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Might of been for a trip around the world.

Originally Posted by Trene View Post
When my mother, a lifelong quilter and seamstress, passed in '08, she left her quilting stash to me (my sis, an accomplished seamstress, received the dress goods). I have used bits and pieces from that stash in the years since, but have never had the heart to really sort through it. I did so over this long weekend, along with my sis, via face time. We laughed, and cried, and had a great time remembering what an amazing woman our Mother was.

Along with some really spectacular fabrics, and amazing examples of EPP (who knew?) I found the attached fabrics. They were numbered 1 - 8, with a 5/8 bit marked 'binding'.

While a number of her unfinished projects were with the pattern she was using, I have no idea what she intended with this group of fabrics. There are 8 different fabrics, measuring from 5/8 to 4 yards. There is a total of 15 1/4 yards of fabric.

I would welcome any thoughts as to what to do with this - I want to make something that will be a tangible memory of Mom, but I am at a loss as to where to start.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Since they are so close in color I agree A Trip Around the World and Log Cabin would be good - you would need to add some fabrics for contrast. I also thought a rail fence would work too. It looks like you would have enough fabric to make one for you and one for your sister.

My mom used to sew when we were young - turned out she liked buying fabric but really didn't like to sew. So she gave away a lot, but she told me she always kept a piece of Disney Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf fabric that she used to make an outfit for my oldest sister. After my mom passed away I found the fabric and used it in a quilt for my great-niece who is the grand-daughter of my oldest sister. I found another piece of fabric, it was a jungle print and no one had any idea where it came from and it was just a yard so I made it into a doll blanket - but my niece used it for the twins when they they were first born since they were so small.

It feels so good to use those bits of fabric.... Enjoy - let us know what you make.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM

French braid sounds good- it is not one I have done before. I am actually hoping to be snowed in tomorrow, so I search her books and patterns!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM

I am in agreement with others that said Log Cabin or Trip Around the World.