Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VP not attending meetings >

VP not attending meetings

VP not attending meetings

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

In this world of nastiness, we can afford some patience whether we feel someone deserves it or not.

Patience for this type of behavior only enforces the behavior.
Ask her why she is acting like this and not doing her job and then make a decision to ask her leave or welcome her with open arms.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM

Here are several examples of current bylaws of quilt guilds. If your group doesn't have bylaws, then you have no rules, therefore, no recourse to any type actions or non-actions by anyone. I'd find out if your guild has bylaws and if not, do as simple a version as possible using these as an example and get it approved by the membership. Then you can make decisions based on the bylaws. Until then good luck with your absent VP.

http://www.ashevillequiltguild.org/Guild%20By-Laws.pdf
http://helenaquiltersguild.org/bylaws.html
http://www.ucquilts.com/bylaws.htm
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Since you are a small group...see if you can hold a meeting at her home, since she has health issues...she may be down and need a few friends to pick her up. Let her know that any snacks/drinks will be brought, she has to do nothing but enjoy the company.

I think we sometimes aren't aware when a person is depressed due to illness, or family members illness. I'd even offer to come early and help her clean/set up an area in her home to meet (move chairs around, put on coffee or tea, etc.) in. Then stay and help straighten/clean up after. It may get her wanting to be more involved.

Originally Posted by AChristina View Post
I'm president of a very small quilt guild, we average about 6 - 12 members at our monthly meetings and workshops. We held elections last November and this is the first time I've held office. Our VP, who has held that office for at least 3 years that I know of, said she would be willing to serve again, so she was re-elected. We've had 6 meetings/group activities since then and she hasn't attended any of them. We sold items at a craft show just before Christmas our members had made to raise funds for our guild, she didn't donate items or her time. We've made quilts for a local foster family, 27 in all, with fabric that was donated to the guild, she didn't finish her quilt. She hasn't attended regular meetings or workshops, but she's the first in line if she's at meeting where fabric has been donated to be used by the guild or if members had brought in unwanted fabric or sewing tools. She says she'll come to the next meeting, but the day of or before, she says she isn't up to it. We know she has health problems but how many meetings would you let her miss before you speak up? Our Treasurer, Secretary and I feel 2 more missed meetings and we need to replace her with someone who is willing to donate their time and skills. Any ideas on how to do this tactfully would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:05 AM

I have seen officers of my guild do the same thing. They do have families and lives outsides of guilds. In fact the last two years I have missed so many meetings and I really feel bad about it. I have had several health issues and that has kept me away, but I do contact someone from the guild to see if there is anything I could assist with. Maybe someone need to invite her to coffee (or some invite) and just socialize with her. You may find there is something that is going on with her. It could also be the time to present your concerns for not supporting the group and ask if she would like a replacement for the remainder of the year, if she cannot complete her responsibilities. Good luck and just remember there may be a good reason that she is not sharing.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

There are several good ideas expressed by other QB members. I think she should be notified that a meeting will be held to discuss asking her to resign because she does not attend meetings, something that goes without saying. I was president of a very large guild - 125 members - and there were always people who wanted a certain position, but then never showed up or just neglected to do the job she was elected for. You could call a special meeting to elect a new VP, or you could just let her term expire and make sure she does not get elected, as in if she were nominated, if there is no second, the nomination dies. My guild also had problems with donated fabric being taken home and no charity quilts made, it happens, but someone needs to be responsible for seeing that nobody takes an excessive amount of fabric and a rule made that it has to be made into a charity quilt. Unfortunately, there will always be people who feel entitled to hold an office without attending meetings, or taking advantage of donated fabric and using it for themselves. I would like to hear how you handled this situation, if you would like to share.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by AChristina View Post
Thank you all for your input. It's given me a great deal to think about. Our secretary lives next door to her in an apartment complex and has repeatedly reminded her of meetings and activities to find out if she is going to attend. I think my best recourse at this time is to just "Let It Go" as my granddaughters favorite song says and bring up the subject of by-laws at the next meeting. I'll send out a mass e-mail to all members to let them know ahead of time but won't say why we're doing this. My treasurer has been a godsend at helping me with meetings and workshops. She's loaded with ideas and suggestions. Is it possible for someone to hold 2 offices? LOL. As to me not knowing if there are by-laws, I've only been in office since January and our former president has been traveling. I never thought to ask for a printout of the by-laws and they have never been discussed at any previous meetings in the last 5 years since I've been member.
I don't think that Robert's Rules allow for a single person holding 2 offices. Beyond that, how do you ever break a tie vote??? Happened to me at one point when I was Treasurer as well as Past President (who is a recognized board member in our organization) - didn't work well and created the need for yet another by-law change!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I am in a group of sewers and we are having the same problem. But this person was NOT elected to run the meeting but somehow she got hold of the bell and is sending out unnecessary emails. She is ALSO first in line for donated fabric making others of us to grab something otherwise she will walk out with all she can carry. Very sad.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:55 AM

any guild I've ever been part of, the VP in addition to whatever else, was Always president the following year. The VP year giving he or she a chance to enter the presidency running. It has been many years since saying you were VP of something was simply a place for ego to preen.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:48 PM

She does suffer from depression whether real or imaginary. The apartment housing she lives in is the same as my sister-in-law who is the secretary. There are 2 other women that live there also and the 4 of them get together once a week for a meal and are always doing something together. VP doesn't drive or have a car and she lives by herself. She's quit before and then decides to come back after a couple of months while she was VP last year. I think we'll just have to leave things as they are and if she doesn't show up, that's her problem. I'll just ask the treasurer or secretary or the former president to preside over any meetings I may not be able to attend. Thank you for all your input. I'm glad I posted this thread, because my husband always tells me I open my mouth too soon without thinking.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:13 PM

As a member of several quilt guilds and 3 professional groups....you should/have to attend 3 meetings, then you are on probation for 3 more, then if you don't show-up, you are no longer an officer. But you should have this stated in you rules and guidelines to be an officer.

Hope this helps

Robinlee