Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM

My answer to anyone who ask such a thing would be that it is my art I love doing and get so much pleasure from it. That when I give a gift I want the person I am giving it to know I am giving it with a lot of thought and love and what better way than to make something with your own hands and time to show you care.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 AM

I sew for the same reason that painters paint, composers compose, and teacher teach, because I have to. Period. When Frank Lloyd Wright starts making tract housing, I will do alterations! I hate alterations. Not real fond of repairs, either, but as long as it is not a jeans zipper, I might do it....lol!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Quilting Haven, you can go buy a cheap throw or quilt; but making a quilt and giving it to someone special means that you have taken the time to make something special just for you. My Mom taught me to sew while I was in Grade School, easy aprons for starters, then after taking Home Ec. in high school I made all of my clothes for years and years. I stopped for a while, but started again after I had kids and made lots of clothes for my daughter, although before she was out of grade school, unless I let her pick the fabric and pattern, she wouldn't wear it (very picky I know, but that's the way it was). When I started quilting, the first and only quilt that I hand quilted was for her; but after developing carpal tunnel syndrome I learned to machine quilt and I've never looked back. I've lost count of the number of baby quilts, lap quilts, bed quilts, wall hangings, table runners, placemats, etc. that I have made to either sell or give away; but quilting brings balance and serenity into my life. When I can't quilt I get very cranky and my husband will "suggest" that I start making a quilt. Most people have something that they like to do, you like to sew and never apologize for it, it's part of who you are.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 AM

The reply " I'll remember that if I get the inspiration to make you a THROW"
I believe our energy, thoughts and love get interwoven in the fibers of what we make. that feeling comes through when in use. Can a patient draw strength from a donated quilt? I believe it happens!
Old 03-28-2015, 12:49 PM

My sister was like that also. I was always very crafty, had the home and kids and she was a business
person. To her it was always why don't you just buy it and to me I enjoyed making things.
Sometimes there just isn't an answer. You are just 2 different people
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM

I haven't read all the way through this post so someone probably has already said this. Making a quilt is a creative outlet. You make them for people you love or are important to you. It is way more personal that buying a throw and giving them. I would think the person receiving it would think more often of you when it's a quilt you made versus a throw you bought. I know this is true of my family and friends.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:00 PM

I can't explaine it either but I to love to sew & always have. I sew something almost every day, even if only a few minutes it just makes me happy and relaxed.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:09 PM

In 25 or 50 years a home made quilt, lovingly cared for will have value. A blanket purchased at a store, has no more value than towel.
That's my opinion.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Quilting is a creative outlet. Cooking, cleaning, etc. don't have lasting results but sewing creates something that may outlive its maker. You don't owe anyone an explanation.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 AM

We do it because we love it, anyone can go buy it from the shop but what satisfaction do they gain from it? Maybe they are secretly jealous because they can't do it