Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help needed with Singer 127 bobbin winder >

Help needed with Singer 127 bobbin winder

Old 04-21-2015, 06:49 PM

Default Help needed with Singer 127 bobbin winder

The bobbin winder spring knob on my 127 has a very weekspring and will not hold the long bobbin in place for winding. How do you getinto cavity to replace the spring? Is the knob pressed on or is it screwed on?Is the spring available or can a hardware type be used spring be used? Helpneeded, so I do not mess anything up. The knob in question is on the left inthe picture.
Attached Thumbnails 127bobbinwinder-1-640x480-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:16 PM

I have never taken the shaft and knob off of mine ( also an early 27 sphinx ) I will take a look at mine next time I have it out..... I would imagine that the spring could be replaced with any appropriate size and tension hardware store variety coil spring.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 PM

Ken,

The knob unscrews from the shaft. What I'd do before taking it apart is to remove the winder from the machine and soak it in a solvent. Turn it, push it in and out and make sure there is no gummed up oil causing the shaft to stick. I've only had one apart and off hand I can't tell you what kind of spring is in it.

These winders can be horribly loaded with gummed up old oil. I've had several of them that were so bad I had to soak them Hoppe's #9 gun solvent to clean them.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-21-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks Joe! I will give that a try.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574800[/ATTACH]

I use the phone for Internet so I'll have to post these photos individually, as it doesn't seem like I can upload them a batch at a time..
Attached Thumbnails img_7795.png  

Last edited by SewXwhat; 06-18-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574801[/ATTACH]

The tools needed to take the bobbin winder assembly and the belt guard off of the sewing machine are a flat screwdriver, and a socket wrench. My socket was 9/32.

There are two cupped /Belleville washers. They get positioned with the bowl away from the head of screw. In other words, they are installed with the dome/bowl facing up.
Attached Thumbnails img_7833.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574802[/ATTACH]

Winding the arm lever. There are three small holes on the inside of the bracket. The spring notch fits into one of the three holes. I use the middle one. This must have to do with if the spring tension wears out in One spot, you move onto the next.

I put the notch on the spring into the middle hole on the bracket. Then I attached the arm with the screw in place but don't tighten it all the way. I let it fall to 6 o'clock and then press on the outer screw. wind the arm back up counterclockwise . Photos to follow.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 AM

Make your way counterclockwise with the arm in between your fingers, and the spring will be wound pretty tight. I like to have a heart shaped cam and its little securing plate on before I put the arm lever on. That way the end of the arm lever can go into the dip of the heart and screw the arm love her into place. You may have to make adjustments with your screwdriver on the big screw on the heart, but once you do you are all set.

A few things I've learned. One. There was no tutorial I could find for this while I was in the throes of attempting to address this thing. Two. Screws are small so make sure you have some paper towel or a plate so they won't get lost. Three. The worm gear works by turning of the cam, and make sure you use a wire brush to clean the grooves of these parts. If gunk has accumulated over 107 years inside of these parts, it will affect their performance. These are Percision machines. Also, if one of your cupped/Bellevue washers is fubared, you can still use it with a plane washer underneath of it. If I can think of anything else I'll come back and post. It's really not difficult at all. The photos Sharon are of the parts clean. They were filthy. I soaked them in witch hazel and then use a toothbrush to clean. Dry them really good and sewing machine oil as needed.

����⭐️��❤️
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]574803[/ATTACH]

Winding counterclockwise.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:56 PM

Yikes! I was going to ask if anyone could hazard a guess as to why my 28K bobbin assembly won't lock against the hand wheel. I've been pushing the entire bobbin winding gear against the hand wheel with one thumb while I turn the hand crank to fill a bobbin.

It's no big deal to do but I was determined to try to figure out why it wouldn't 'engage'. Now I'm thinking "Never mind!"

��
Karen