2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Battle Axe! I am so with you! Jenny! Jenny!. I know it is the 13th but I too will now try to cut the stash. I have been buying up blacks and grays for my niece's wedding quilt. I must have enough now. I even bought Minnesota loon fabric for my MN lake loving girl and fiancée. Now, is there a group to join where we will not by anymore vintage Singer sewing machines?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM

Veinurse love it. Great post
Old 01-14-2016, 03:25 PM

I have been shopping my stash. Made a ironing board cover from my stash. I join the swaps to use up some of my stash. I like to make bags so I make them from what I have. I made a quilt from my stash last winter. Made summer clothes for my granddaughter from what I had. Going to make summer clothes for my granddaughter this spring. Made some gifts . Need to make some quilts from my stash. Has anybody ever made a big dent in their stash?

Last edited by beckyw; 01-14-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beckyw View Post
Has anybody ever made a big dent in their stash?
Not for long. When there is a gap, I tend to fall (or jump) off the wagon and fill the hole.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM

I fell off the wagon. 3 1/3 yards and some scraps maybe a 9 inches there. I had bought fabric for the sashing and boarders for the star flower quilt but one was a directional print and the other was flocked and neither was right for the quilt so it was back to the store. The scraps were a quilters answer to a feeding frenzy...maybe?

So it begins. I'm getting right back on the wagon and hopefully there won't be any more mess ups.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 AM

I bought one yard of pink fabric to bind a little lap quilt. Didn't need a yard, but it's so pretty. When I got it home I found that it will also work on another quilt that will need binding. So I needed the whole yard after all. So far this year I've been doing good. I go to a (not so) LQS every week to learn how to use my new sewing machine. It's hard to browse the fabric and not bring any home. But I have vowed this year to be strong. This forum is helping. Thanks for the support!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM

Just checking in to keep track of my progress. I was in a fabric store yesterday, for no specific item. I spotted a very cute bundle of fat quarters for a great price. I walked around the store, holding them. Then I gave myself a stern talking-to, and then I left without buying them. The price had been very appealing, but I realized that alone should not be my reason to buy when I have enough fabric to last for years.
Later in the day, I was sewing and actually lost a strip of fabric that I had cut. I sifted through 3 mountains of piled fabric to try to find my single strip - which I did not find. It occurred to me that I was glad I hadn't bought the fat quarter bundle. My sewing room is a mess.
I am going to take a candid picture of my un-cleaned sewing room (just for my sake and not to post) every 30 days. My goal will be to see the piles of fabric diminish as the year goes on. This, I am hoping, will help keep me honest with myself.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 AM

One of my sewing buddies is in Florida. I have a key to her house, my sewing room is a mess, overflowing actually. Only a path to get around in it. I looked for two days for peacock fabric for a PIF .....well I did find it and mailed or off. In my frustrating moments myDH suggested I take some of my fabric to my friends house saying she wouldn't even know as she has a large stash too.......what an idea..........

Jenny........I think you did really a good thing......
Equigle , perhaps you could scamper away from the fabric and look at accessories for your new,machine. A cording foot for example ???

Last edited by calla; 01-16-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
My sewing room is a mess.
I am going to take a candid picture of my un-cleaned sewing room (just for my sake and not to post) every 30 days. My goal will be to see the piles of fabric diminish as the year goes on. This, I am hoping, will help keep me honest with myself.
Oh what a great idea....yes only you will know how far you've come, but that's what is most important..
Old 01-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calla View Post
In my frustrating moments myDH suggested I take some of my fabric to my friends house saying she wouldn't even know as she has a large stash too.......what an idea
LOL...wouldn't work with my QBUDDY cuz we play in each other's stash she'd know where it came from