Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt vs rulers? >

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Accuquilt vs rulers?

Old 01-19-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Accuquilt vs rulers?

Do you ever buy something you think will be really helpful, only to find that it isn't the right thing for you? Because I cannot cut straight to save my life (even with all my rulers !), I bought an Accuquilt Baby cutter, but I think I just don't do enough piecing to make it worthwhile to me. My DH is my official "cutter" and I guess I will just go back to having him hand cut using the rulers. Don't get me wrong - I think the machine cutter is probably great for those who do a lot of piecing in different shapes, but I do good to do squares or strips! and he can cut those by hand. Guess that is why I love precuts.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

I have no problem using rulers but I value my time and the Go saves me hours. It's easy to adapt most patterns to fit the dies. My favorite dies are the BOB dies. One pass and I have six blocks cut, ready to sew.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Banned

I kind of feel the same way. I found my Go Baby at a thrift store and snapped it up thinking I would use it a lot, oh how much time I would save! I played with it once, cutting up a bunch of scraps. I've had it for a year now and haven't used it again. I don't have any problems cutting my own pieces and I guess the Go was just another toy I thought I had to have.

Cari
Old 01-19-2016, 01:47 PM

Well, if one is just having DH cutting squares and strips then perhaps the die cutter is not the best investment, but then again maybe DH would like using it? And what a great way to spread your wings and try a different shape knowing it will be cut accurately......
Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 PM

I love cutting fabric. I find it quite relaxing and zen-like actually. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of quilting for me, with lots of building anticipation of the good time to come making the new quilt. I have no interest in any kind of 'power cutter' so can easily understand why the OP doesn't find hers a good fit for her personality and style. I'm not a food processor type person either. lol
Old 01-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

It is great that your husband is so kind to help you with your cutting. I prefer to oversize my blocks to trim down when I finish piecing the block and you can't do that with an Accuquilt. I also use a lot of strips and squares to piece my quilts.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM

I have 5 June Taylor slotted rulers in different sizes from 1/4" to 2 1/2" that I use daily. One of the rulers cuts eights. I love that ruler when I have to cut squares (e.g., 2 7/8"). The rulers make cutting strips and blocks fast and the correct size. I have the electric Accuquilt which I have used for cutting circles, flowers, and shapes without straight lines. Personally, I use the rulers much more often.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM

I have an Accuquilt Studio that I bought second hand from a quilt shop. It was definitely an impulse buy, but, oh, my, I don't have a clue how I managed with out it.

I do what I call simple quilts; mostly strips, squares, and triangles. I do ok with the rulers, but, and this is a big one, my fibro and arthritis were starting to object to all that work. There is still some ruler cutting involved, though, as I find that layering fabric by folding it skews the fabric sometimes.

Now that I have the accuquilt, I look at the electric one...but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money and I definitely don't want to have to replace my die collection!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM

I have the Accuquilt Go and love it. I mainly cut strips with it but the strips are far more accurate than I can cut with a ruler. Just cut 2" strips, subcut them to 6.5", sewed three strips together then turned them the other way on the Accuquilt and cut 20 sets at a time in to 3 patch strips to make 9 patches. So much faster and more accurate. This 9 patch quilt from leftover homespuns has over 5400 pieces. I really appreciate the Accuqult.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Well, if one is just having DH cutting squares and strips then perhaps the die cutter is not the best investment, but then again maybe DH would like using it? And what a great way to spread your wings and try a different shape knowing it will be cut accurately......
Actually, I bought it thinking he would like it, too ...but he also prefers the rulers. And yes,thank goodness he likes to help me cut and square up...and he will cut other shapes soon, as my secret Santa sent me some triangles and a tumbler shaped ruler.