Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amish style tumbling block questions >

Amish style tumbling block questions

Amish style tumbling block questions

Old 05-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Amish style tumbling block questions

I just love the old fashioned tumbling blocks. The one's done with the y seams, although the blocks with the seam down the middle are nice, I love the one's done with the y seams. However finding a pattern with directions isn't happening. I searched the internet and only found a really nice one done by hand. I prefer to machine piece, so I may get it done in my lifetime. Any suggestions. Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 PM

Here's one I found:
http://ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/free-...g-blocks-quilt
And I saw others when I googled Amish Tumbling blocks:
http://www.sewing-solutions.com/Tumb...t-pattern.html
I also want to do it the "old" way!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 PM

the only "old way" I know is English paper Piecing. The only machine mades have a seam that splits one of the diamonds. Is there another way?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 PM

check on youtube.com from kate woods i think i spell her name right , but anyway she has a tutorial on the Y seam for tumbling block pattern
Old 05-30-2016, 02:13 AM

Karen Combs has great patterns.
sandy
Old 05-30-2016, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
the only "old way" I know is English paper Piecing. The only machine mades have a seam that splits one of the diamonds. Is there another way?
I made a traditional tumbling blocks by machine without the split. It is pictured here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html . While it is hand quilted it is most definitely pieced by machine. You use the technique called Y seams or set in seams. To the OP, if you google directions for sewing Y seams by machine you will find many tutes. This principal is applied to any Y seam from Tumbling blocks to Lemoyne Star. It may seem daunting and tedious to not be able to speed piece or strip piece but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and it is a very valuable skill set to have in your quilt making arsenal. But there are no short cuts if constructing the traditional way. And I would recommend marking every seam allowance intersection where the Y meets at each corner of the diamonds. This step will make construction go smoother IMHO.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by nellie View Post
check on youtube.com from kate woods i think i spell her name right , but anyway she has a tutorial on the Y seam for tumbling block pattern
Yes, and with her instruction, y seams are a snap! Doing a 60 degree star .......no sweat!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 AM

Didn't Missouri Star Quilt Company have something on this recently?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 PM

Wow this quilt is gorgeous a must see. Thanks Grace
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I made a traditional tumbling blocks by machine without the split. It is pictured here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html . While it is hand quilted it is most definitely pieced by machine. You use the technique called Y seams or set in seams. To the OP, if you google directions for sewing Y seams by machine you will find many tutes. This principal is applied to any Y seam from Tumbling blocks to Lemoyne Star. It may seem daunting and tedious to not be able to speed piece or strip piece but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and it is a very valuable skill set to have in your quilt making arsenal. But there are no short cuts if constructing the traditional way. And I would recommend marking every seam allowance intersection where the Y meets at each corner of the diamonds. This step will make construction go smoother IMHO.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM

you can machine piece tumbling blocks and y-seams. The key is stopping 1/4" from the edge. I will back stitch to secure the point.

I think it's pretty cool to be able to get that point just right and have it lay flat! It is something to be proud of. This is part of a quilt that is all 60 degree diamonds - just arranged differently than in a tumbling block pattern.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551306[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 042.jpg