Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades >

Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades

Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades

Old 06-07-2016, 04:30 AM

Default Ceiling fans, new trick for cleaning blades

I tried this and cleaned 5 fans in about 20 minutes! Take an old pillowcase, enclose each blade up to where it attaches, then pull the pillowcase toward you using a rubbing motion with both hands. The dust stays in the pillowcase rather than making a mess. When you are done, just take it outside, turn it inside out, shake the dust off, and throw it in the washer. I used an old flannel pillowcase and followed up with a slightly damp rag. I have always dreaded cleaning the fans, but this makes it a breeze (pun intended) lol! Think I may have seen this tip on the Today Show.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 AM

I looked at mine this weekend and left them....just didn't want to tackle it. I'll give this a try. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:19 AM

My son saw mine and asked if I was starting a new trend, like the fuzzy dice were for windows back in the day. I told him he was so tall he could clean them while he was there. Of course he just laughed. I hate dusting. When I gave my other son my shadow box and all of the knick knacks that were on it, but he had to take the dust. He's like mom, theres a lot of dust, I said yes and it serves a purpose. If they were to fall off the shelf and hit the floor it would protect them from breaking. I'm slowly gettng rid of things and giving them to the kids they remind me of and will keep on going until there's just enough to fit into my curio cabinets where little dusting is required.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
My son saw mine and asked if I was starting a new trend, like the fuzzy dice were for windows back in the day. I told him he was so tall he could clean them while he was there. Of course he just laughed. I hate dusting. When I gave my other son my shadow box and all of the knick knacks that were on it, but he had to take the dust. He's like mom, theres a lot of dust, I said yes and it serves a purpose. If they were to fall off the shelf and hit the floor it would protect them from breaking. I'm slowly gettng rid of things and giving them to the kids they remind me of and will keep on going until there's just enough to fit into my curio cabinets where little dusting is required.
Oh, I know what you mean. I had a shadowbox with small brass items, also one with thimbles. They are dust collectors and the older I get, the less I want to do with household chores.
Even the daily meal is now a twice-a-week task. I am a senior and at the point where I feel that I should be doing lots of what I enjoy and much, much less of what I always felt I had to do.
Gave away my thimbles and brass items and also my decorative spoon collections...all went to a charity flea market.

edited to add....I get my son to do all the fan blades.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

What a clever idea. I always thought if I ran it enough, all the dust bunnies would fall off and end up in the vacuum cleaner.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

WHAT, you're supposed to dust them?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
WHAT, you're supposed to dust them?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:03 AM

I am going to try that today. We moved everything out of the living room in preparation for carpeting to be installed. And the 8 foot ladder will be in the house for other high cleaning duties.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 AM

I have the stand up fans for a reason, hubby cleans them lol....
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM

Wow! That is ingenious. Thanks!