Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you carry your notions in? >

What do you carry your notions in?

What do you carry your notions in?

Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 AM

I love the quilted totes that are specially for sewing. They have a plastic tray on top and then you can put the bigger items on the bottom. I bought one on sale at Joann's and then found two more at thrift stores. I keep them full so I have one at the cottage, one at home and one for our camper.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:49 AM

The point is to get it there whether it is in a Gucci bag or a brown paper bag.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Little plastic bins are great...check the fishing aisle/tackle boxes. They are usually cheaper and made by the same company as the ones in the crafts sections of the stores.
I use those for my machine feet, buttons, snaps, thread, everything. They are cheap and convenient. I love Sears hardware!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

It is a fishing tackle box. Only $12. I LOVE it.
Attached Thumbnails 100_4068.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
All the itty bitties like thimble sm scissors needles etc. I put into my hard back glass cases. Pins get their own. These lay open flat on the table and are easily accessible.
I've bought several of these at yardsales for under a buck. I use them all the time to hold my notions for hand projects and crocheting. I glued a pin cushion in 1 for pins too.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 AM

I like the snapware plastic totes. There are half off quite often at JoAnn's but I am beginning to see them at Shopko, Big Lots and other places. They come in groups of 2 but if you buy more you can snap as many as you want together. I use one for my notions and then use 1 or 2 for my pattern and fabric when going to classes. In the one for the notions and tools I have set a couple of the interlocking little bins kind of like silverware trays to help keep things organzied. My one word of advice is you go to a lot of classes or take your projects other places try as you can afford it to have one set of tools to keep in one place just for classes. Easier said than done for me. I am always using something out of my "class kit" and forgetting to put it back. I try to keep small scissors, box of pins, rotary cutter, extra blades, marking pens, sticky notes or small notebook and ink pens, tape measure. I just bought a folding 6 X 24 ruler to keep in it.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 AM

Even when teaching, I found the 'case' I used the most was a 6 x 10 plastic container with a snap on lid. It was 3"deep and just perfect for the items I needed (deep enough for rotary cutter, long enough for regular scissors). The classroom had cutting mats available. My 6 x 24 ruler was just carried - it never fits anywhere! When I was going to do a demo, I have an art portfolio case that my cutting mats and ruler would fit into. My smaller iron fits into my case with my sewing machine. specifically looked for that feature when purchasing this case.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Even when teaching, I found the 'case' I used the most was a 6 x 10 plastic container with a snap on lid. It was 3"deep and just perfect for the items I needed (deep enough for rotary cutter, long enough for regular scissors). The classroom had cutting mats available. My 6 x 24 ruler was just carried - it never fits anywhere! When I was going to do a demo, I have an art portfolio case that my cutting mats and ruler would fit into. My smaller iron fits into my case with my sewing machine. specifically looked for that feature when purchasing this case.
I also use this plastic container - it works great for protecting my sewing tools and protecting me. This container was recommended when I took my "Learning to Quilt" class and it works great. I use a scrap booking case (14" by 14") to hold my fabric, completed blocks and smaller rulers. My challenge is the cutting mats and larger rulers. I like the idea of using an art portfolio case or making one.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:15 AM

It isn't often that I go to classes or sew-ins, but in the past I have carried my items in a tote and contained the smaller pieces and smaller pieces such as rotary cutter, rippers, pins, etc. in one of those heavy clear plastic bags that pillowcases, bras, etc. come in. I keep those because they are so nice with the snap top. I can be classified as a hoarder, but I do repurpose as many things as I can. That bionic gear bag is one thing that I will be looking into. I have used one of those art portfolio cases mentioned above but I now have a small rotary mat that is wonderful.

Last edited by GailG; 07-06-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM
mac

Since I go to a weekly quilt meeting at the senior center, I find that I need more notions than if I was going to just one class. I tried a lot of different bags, totes, pencil boxes, etc., etc., and found that they were too cumbersome and then I couldn't remember where I put my things in which bag and would have to zip and unzip different bags until I found the item I wanted.

Finally I remembered that a lady I met standing in line at Joann's told me that she was buying quilted fabric to make a tote for her notions that she kept in one of those 3-drawer office supply holders. She said it was small enough to carry all of your supplies and she made a tote to carry the drawers in that had zippers that allowed her to zip down to reveal the drawers and then when they were zipped back up it kept the drawers closed. With handles on the tote all she had to do was grab and go.

I love using this and I find it easy to use both at home and on the go, so I don't have to have double of anything as it is easily transportable just like it is.