Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why >

Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why

Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why

Old 07-06-2016, 09:03 AM

Default Which sewing machine do you feel is best for a child's first and why

I have been teaching a young girl to sew for a couple years now. She will be 9 in November. I'd like to get her a decent sewing machine of her own. Do you have any experience with a decent "first" that isn't a kids machine? Someone did buy her a little pink thing for her 7th birthday, which began the sewing learning experience. However, it was so bad that I quickly put her on my Husqvarna Designer SE. She handled that machine like a pro. I think I'd like to spend no more than 400 dollars if possible. Right now she is doing pillows and quilts. I'd like her to have lessons from a pro as we don't have much time to spend together at the moment.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM

look into a low end Janome that can do a blanket stitch and a quilting stitch.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I bought my DGD the high end Hello Kitty Janome machine model 18750 when she was 8 years old. She still uses it and she is 19 now. Very well made and so easy to operate. I think the Hello Kitty will be this generation's Featherweight. LOL. Her friends all want one.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM

What kind of space does she have to use a machine? Is this something she has to set up on a kitchen table? Do you want her to have all the bells and whistles of your machine? I learned on and used my mother's Singer 15-91. It had a button hole attachment and an attachment that did decorative stitches, not that I used it that much because I was sewing clothes from the time I was 8 years old. You can usually find them in a cabinet.

If you want a current machine with the built in stitches look at the Brother machines. There is even one that comes with the extension table at Costco for $190.00, they have the Brother sewing/embroidery machine for $389.00. They have some Janome machines too.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Great questions quiltingcandy. Her family just moved into a new home. Her bedroom has a room that will one day be her own bathroom and closet. It is a huge space. So, my argument for her parents was to leave some room in there for a sewing center. For now, it should be portable and able to use on a table.

Onebyone, I'm going to have to look into that Hello Kitty.

Thank you
Old 07-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
igot a nice little machine at Walmart. It's a brother, but don't know any other ting about it as it's at my friends house, and I leave it there for the bee. it's lightweight and has a lot of stitches. keep in mind this may be her forever machine so get her some stitches zig zag for buttonholes and a nice stitch for applique.it's a very generous gift to give someone.
Hi Lynnie,

It's been a long time I have been checking out the Brother machines. There is a really nice one that has embroidery built in! I bet she would love that. It's good to still see a familiar face on here. Seems like everyone from a few years ago has left the board. Shoot, I've been MIA for awhile too.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:46 AM

I used my mother's machine for years until I received my own. It was an inexpensive one. Had zigzag and buttonhole capabilities. That one lasted until I wore out the gears. For a child I don't think you want too much to overwhelm her. Or too much that she can tear up and have to spend time at the repair shop. Whatever you get for her will be a godsend. So nice to see the next generation learning a craft that is no longer mandatory in schools.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

A nice inexpensive Brother from Walmart. ($89-$139) my granddaughters learned on these machines, they are great beginner machines, user friendly & hold up. My oldest granddaughter (19) has been using hers for 14 years.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I can vouch for the lower end Brothers based on my own personal experience. I have one at each of the son's house and one at home. They all will see through anything and are not fussy about thread.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 AM

I am of the opinion that one should spend the $400 budget to buy the best machine you can buy in that price range. Price does matter...you get more features and better quality. In my experience......but I always stretch my buying power. Don't spend the budget on a machine that also embroiders. No need to add the EXPENSE of embroidery supplies. Let's cultivate her love of sewing for now. My 2 cents.

sandy