Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here? >

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:39 PM

Default Is it ok to ask "how" to quilt here?

To be honest, I have only ever quilted one item.
Wait ... actually two. Two table runners, but that was done using stitch in the ditch, & it was a cathedral window that I did ... so it looked like it was more intricately quilted.

Here's a photo of the table runner that I pieced for my daughter.
Since I'm new to "quilting" (I love to piece) ... I really don't know what to do.
I have all the "stuff" I need. Walking foot, etc.
I do not have a long arm.

I DO have a Sweet Sixteen but not the stitch regulator, and since this runner is a bridal shower gift, I don't want to "learn" on the SS just yet. I'll save that for getting in lots of practice first.

Dd's shower is in 2 weeks. I'd really like to quilt this thing now (this week).
Any suggestions on what I can do?
I'm also not sure about what to do with that pineapple piecing. So pretty. Don't want to mess it up.

Thanks for your thoughts! I really could use some help here.

I COULD take this to a quilter, but I'll never learn if I'm off doing that (which is why I have pieced more than I have quilted).

Also, for the nicest look ... do I want to use a backing fabric & have it flip to the front for the binding, or should I make a separate binding. I'm thinking of using an aqua print or a grayish silver print (both are in the piecing if you look closely).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555050[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 13912737_10210241840030459_7051252284128775388_n.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I love the fabric you chose for the borders.i noticed that you cut the side pieces so the pattern " matches" on both sides. not many people notice that those types of prints have " stripes".

As far as quilting - I think just enough stitch in the ditch to hold the pineapple blocks down - then eithe a simple meander or crosshatch for the border. Or justsome parallel stitching around the center.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 PM

It takes time to learn how to quilt. When I started machine quilting, I chose the three tops I felt least attached to, and gave myself permission to ruin them. The quilt instructors I've watched on YouTube have all said, basically, you're going to make some ugly quilts while you learn; so personally, I would not start out learning to quilt on a gift quilt.

Sorry to be a wet blanket!! Your table runner is absolutely gorgeous. My suggestion would be, have a professional quilt this, and start learning on pieces that don't have to be perfect.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

If you want to stick to straight-line quilting, how about a basic grid with the walking foot? You could use a variegated thread in blues or a monofilament. Here is what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails pineapple.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
It takes time to learn how to quilt. When I started machine quilting, I chose the three tops I felt least attached to, and gave myself permission to ruin them. The quilt instructors I've watched on YouTube have all said, basically, you're going to make some ugly quilts while you learn; so personally, I would not start out learning to quilt on a gift quilt.

Sorry to be a wet blanket!! Your table runner is absolutely gorgeous. My suggestion would be, have a professional quilt this, and start learning on pieces that don't have to be perfect.
This is really good advice
Old 07-31-2016, 07:04 PM

What a beautiful table runner! I have no advice for the quilting though. Sorry. I am a fan of stitch in the ditch, and that is really all I know about.

Dina
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

If you are confident with your SITD do that in your pineapple center and white border. On the large blue fabric borders I would do a straight crosshatch running with the runner. I would do the cross hatching in a blue thread to match the fabric. As this is a gift, it isn't time to experiment with FMQ on it. It looks lovely!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 PM

Beautiful table runner. Love your choice of fabric.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 PM

You want to SID no matter what to make sure that it really lays flat. If you pick a 50/2 mid-grey (lighter than the paisley diamond in center of pineapples, darker than the light grey floral) it should be basically invisible.

I'm assuming you're asking because you want something more than SID. SID would certainly be an option, but here's another option for you to consider.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555056[/ATTACH]
For the pineapple blocks, I'd stick with a 40 or 50wt mid-grey thread so it does not show up very much and the piecing can be the focus. I'd do one small "star" in the very center square & then two more echoing that, touching each of the paisley pieces. I'd do triangles in a 40wt mid-grey. I would not hop to the outside of the white line until I reached within the 1/4" of the border that my binding would cover. Then I'd "continue" (minus the white) the lines from the triangles out to the edge of the quilt & follow back in to the white, travel stitching to next angled line.

When all of that was done, I'd consider adding a motif in the center of each "block" that was formed by your crossing lines. As a beginning FMQ'er, I'd recommend grabbing some scrap fabric to practice first, but doing a simple 4-petal motif (marked with white pencil or Ultra Clean crayon) in a 50/2 thread that is the same blue as the background would be simple enough & the thin matching thread would allow any minor glitches to seamlessly blend in. You need a Darning foot (also called Free Motion foot) to do FMQ on a domestic machine. It could also be done on the Sweet 16, but that isn't necessary as long as you have a Darning foot for your regular machine.

I would definitely mark your design first, especially as you are on a tight deadline.

As for the binding, speaking from experience, doing a "regular" double fold French binding is FAR easier than self-binding. The only reason I'd suggest a self-binding is if you are short on fabric. I did self-binding once. It took me hours to get the corners even close to decent. I would never do that again.
Attached Thumbnails contemporary.jpg  

Last edited by Bree123; 07-31-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

Yikes Bree123, that's a LOT of quilting for a beginner. I think this could be done simply and look great with just straight lines with a walking foot. I'd do the center with SITD, and not on every round, maybe every other.... Then a large single crosshatch in the border. You can mark it beforehand with tailor's chalk which will rub out easily enough when you are done quilting.

No need to send this out to a longarmer... you can do a nice job with your DSM. It's so beautiful, you don't want too much quilting stealing the show from those pineapples.