How do you get around?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Bus, car, and by foot. Love walking whenever I can.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 PM

By car! I've never been in a position to be without one. When I worked in management I often traveled from store to store. Kids were open enrolled for awhile, so they needed to be driven to, and picked up from school. When parents were ailing, I often had to leave at a moments notice. Now we often help out running grandkids around. Plus...there are no fabric stores within walking distance. Bus connection is several blocks away. I realize how incredibly fortunate I have been to always have had a car available. I bought my first car at 18, and have had one ever since...(almost 50 years!)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:09 PM

When I was younger i lived in Japan, we walked or took a taxi but they were cheap but mostly walked. Now. I have not driven fr many years as I am legally blind, sewing is challanging enough. Thankfully, hubby can still drive. When he was severely ill in the hospital and was in a veterans home my son lived 30 minutes away. Unfortunately as a few of you know we lost him in a fall accident a year next month . My daughter lives over 3 hours away so if hubby cant i dont go anywhere, depend on a few friends... there are no buses here, taxis few and very expensive.. sometimes scary to get older when you have health issues.....
Old 07-12-2017, 02:57 AM

Having been raised on a farm, learning to drive at a young age was just the way it had to be. Necessity of life was knowing how to drive the little Ford tractor at a young age and eventually worked up to the pickup and finally the car. I cannot even think about the day I don't have the freedom or independence to drive myself where I need to go. I find it interesting that some of my kids' friends did not get their driver's license and end up living in larger areas where public transportation is how they get around. I must admit I don't drive in the Twin Cities nor do I have any desire to. There, I would much prefer to take public transportation as I don't know my way around. In our rural area, there is an option for people to call a county transit van (I believe for a nominal fee).
Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 AM

We moved from our rural hometown to this area 5 yrs ago to be closer to a DD & family.Location was part of the reason
we chose this house.Still need a car,but this suburb is within a mile or so of our medical needs,groceries & basic shopping.
Most groceries now offer delivery/ or pick up service.Will be very handy when no driving becomes a reality.As someone said........it's scary when age rears it's head.Planning only goes so far,health/age trumps all.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 AM

We are vehicle poor- I have my car, DH has his and we own two pickups one older for transporting lumber etc. and a new one well sorta, it is a 2015., but only used from time to time. I bought my first car when I was 21 and have had my own or access to one ever since. I got my Driver's license when I was 14 - I'm going to be 73 in Sept.. I have had access to a vehicle since I got my license. I thought I was going to go stark raving crazy when I broke my foot 3 yrs ago and couldn't drive I had to depend on everyone else to take me somewhere for 8 weeks. I don't know what I will do if I have to be in that situation ever again. We live in a area where there is no pubic transportation basically, except for a Sr. Citizens bus- no trains city buses and definitely no subways. We haven't had a taxi service here for at least 45 years.
We have several older people in our Church two ladies in their 90's a 97 yr.old, and 91 yr.old and a 95 yr old gentleman and several in their mid to late 80's in our Church who have their own cars and drive themselves everywhere. Everyone here has their own vehicle, or have to have someone take them where they need to go.
Towns in this area are not close to each other- wide open spaces. I feel about my car like most people do their cell phones, I don't like to leave home with out it or access to the one I am riding in.lol
I live 80 miles from the nearest fabric store.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 AM

Haven't been able to drive since 1994 (injury) and live in a rural area. I ride our local transit. When I first started riding it was a small operation. When I went to town I had to stay all day....The local transit has really expanded now. Michigan Ogemaw transit is great!!! I do my medical appts and my shopping using transit. I have to ask for rides from friends for out of the area appts, but really try not to ask for rides. Fabric stores are far away...one quilt shop that I can't afford and Walmarts. It was really hard to stop driving and I still miss it...but I manage. I didn't even know we had county transit until I had been hurt, now they are my life line.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:00 AM

When we travel overseas, we always explore by buses and subways and trains. At home, we use our car or truck or RV. I have used a bus many times here locally and there is good service now.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:42 AM

Public transit around here is not great. I thought about taking the bus to work but it'd take me nearly an hour each way and I'd have to change to a later shift because they don't start running early enough to get me here in time for my current (6AM) shift (which I like). Or...it's about a 12 minute drive, so for me that's a no-brainer.

I used to take public bus home from school sometimes in high school; it was a 3 mile walk each way and I had a bad hip so it was a grueling march for me and sometimes I'd be too sore and would give in and take the bus. The only bus that would work went way out of the way, though, so it took about an hour and a half to get home by bus. But it took me around a little over an hour to walk the 3 miles anyway so that wasn't too different. It just sucked because I could either buy lunch or ride the bus, couldn't afford both, so I had to plan ahead and go hungry if I was having a "sore" day.

I love having a car and hope I'm never dependent on public transportation again. I really hope by the time I'm too old to drive safely that they'll have reliable self-driving cars so I can retain my independence!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 AM

In my area we have a non-profit organization that provides rides to those who are 50 years and over. When I stopped working, I started driving people for them. I've met some really nice people who need rides to doctors, shopping, etc.

I'm going to really hate it when I will no longer be able to drive. I've owned a car for the last 49 years.