Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to finish this? >

How to finish this?

How to finish this?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Default How to finish this?

My mom bought this quilt at an estate sale and wants us to finish it so she can use it on her bed. The inside is 99% quilted (hand quilted) but the borders are not quilted. I will Not be doing any hand quilting on this. I have a BL Crown Jewel and Momentum frame, so I can either finish it there, or use a DSM (never attempted that). All the sashing is quilted with the rope design. Should I just use that? Do I put one in each border or treat the whole border as one piece and quilt it with one giant rope? If I use the BL, I have to put it on and take it off the frame twice, right?

I am basically a lazy Quilter. All I've ever quilted has been pantos, so I am at a loss here. Any suggestions are welcome. I just want this one out of my "in process" pile.

TIA,

Darren

Here is one corner showing the two borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580068[/ATTACH]
One edge showing the two borders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580069[/ATTACH]
It's a nice sampler. It should look good finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580070[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580071[/ATTACH]
I found this last bit of rope unquilted when I laid it out to take pictures. She even has her needles threaded and ready to go.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0793.jpg   img_0794.jpg   img_0795.jpg   img_0796.jpg   img_0797.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-08-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 09-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

oh my goodness. i wonder what interrupted her? maybe you can have another quilter friend finish the hand quilting part. then a large rope design in the last borders should work well enough. good luck. Nice find!
!!
Old 09-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I would finish the rope border that is missing by hand. I suspect that the last border is going to have some waves in it to tame. I might quilt it in piano keys by machine and you can sneak in a pleat or two where needed and hide them in the piano key stitching.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Do you have a Senior Center? We have a group of ladies that go there to work on hand quilting for others.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 AM

Either I, or someone else, should continue the hand quilting in the unfinished sashing. Then if you want to do the outside borders by machine, you can purchase or make your own template of the quilting design--mark it with chalk, soap, or crayola washable crayon. It will be very easy to stitch on your BL..walking foot will be needed, but the slight curves will be easy to follow. It's going to be a very pretty finished quilt. Hunker down and giterdone!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

It seems a shame to machine quilt the rest. But then again, I love hand quilting. That's really my passion.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:29 AM

I'm with everyone else. Someone has to finish the hand quilting that is undone in the border. Then on the outer borders, my first thought was to do more rope by machine, but I think Tartan is right---there looks to be fullness in the last borders, so piano keys would really work well there. Plus, they wouldn't be a different rope than the hand quilted one, so they wouldn't "clash". Good suggestion, Tartan.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely do the hand quilting to finish (or get someone to do it for you). I wouldn't do the rope border, maybe some straight lines with a chequerboard effect in each corner. I think the finish should look different...kind of representative of the 2 people who worked on it and the time frame in-between. Mind you, I'm a bit weird like this. Whatever you chose will be lovely....it just needs to get onto a bed and be loved and used.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:07 AM

Oh, my! This is definitely a work of love and labor on the part of who started this. It is beautiful! Glad it has been saved and a shame that the family didn't see what a treasure this should have been for them. Yes, I'd definitely follow through with hand quilting on this one with all the other work that has been done on it. I like the suggestion of the piano keys. I hope the quilt had the fabric with it for the binding.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would finish the rope border that is missing by hand. I suspect that the last border is going to have some waves in it to tame. I might quilt it in piano keys by machine and you can sneak in a pleat or two where needed and hide them in the piano key stitching.
I really like Tartan's idea--gets my vote!