Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting >

batting

batting

Old 10-09-2017, 04:30 AM

Did you do any basting? Try basting the batting to one of the layers, maybe the top with large machine stitches. You take them out as you quilt.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I would never use the birthing method (sew around and then turn right side out through an opening) with anything as big as a sheet. It would be nearly impossible to get flat, straight results. My method is to layer everything flat and smooth, baste or pin the heck out of it, and then quilt. Lastly, apply binding.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:53 AM

many many thanks to everyone who had ideas - they are greatly appreciated.

will see if we can find a walking foot for the machines. the blankets are tied - not quilted - and we do so many a year that they would never agree to a binding. 50 twins and maybe 100 babies (all my hand quilted quilts are done on grandma's quilt frames and i put on a binding). these people will not. I finally got them to quit using corduroy for the quilts. i even found a pair of thermal back drapes in the stash i inherited from the last worker. that hit the garbage can pdq. we are making progress one step at a time. all our older ladies ( 80 +) no longer help and the next generation 60ish is taking over. Many have no clue how to even sew. i think being in a hurry might also be part of the problem.

again i thank you so much and appreciate your ideas. will see what we can do.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:25 AM

I would lay the batting out, spread one layer over it, right side up and pin it profusely (closed safety pins, of course). Put on the other layer, right side down, stitch the edges as usual, turn the quilt, smooth it and remove the pins as you tie it. The batting you are using now is softer and has less body than the Warm and Natural (which is why I like it better than W & W), so pinning should take care of the issue. On the other hand, have you considered a poly batting? Some of those have less 'give'.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Maybe spraying with 505 on the first layer, then make the sandwich, stitch and birth. That layer won't shift or "grow" at all!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
Maybe spraying with 505 on the first layer, then make the sandwich, stitch and birth. That layer won't shift or "grow" at all!
I thought of that, but it would add to the expense and then there's the issue of overspray. In addition, some of us older group members don't want to breath the fumes.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Me, too. the birthing method only seems to work on very small projects for me.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Susie,

You don't say where you are located but you might trying to contact a local guild and or quilt shop, for several reasons. They may be able to offer the ladies free basic quilting lessons, sounds like some might need it. Perhaps they might be willing to supply walking feet for a discount or free. You may be able to get some donated supplies since it's all for charity. I'd also check with local stores that take donations (i.e. Goodwill) and see if they will call you if they get in sewing supplies/fabric so you get first look. See if the local quilt shop has a bulletin board that you can request donations. People are all the time downsizing, or getting rid of the "why did I buy this" fabrics.

I agree with the others as far as the batting, you need to pin it or baste it to keep it from shifting and stretching. (by the way turning it inside out is considered birthing, not sure if that was clarified in the other posts)

Lastly I wanted to say welcome to the quilt board and thank you for giving your time to help others.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Birthing=something big out of a small hole, that's what we call turning a quilt.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:46 PM

susiecute, here is a link to the simple instructions that Lutheran World Relief has for its quilts:
https://lwr.org/get-involved/quilts The "filler" the instructions mention is batting or a substitute.
Many churches use this method and make at least as many or more quilts per year than your group does. They are successful because they layer, then tie, and then do a foldover binding. The binding is fairly wide, which is easier to sew. A walking foot helps prevent pleats in the binding.

Best wishes in your efforts to improve quality, reduce expenses, and make the process enjoyable in your group.